News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Menu buttons

Started by Particle, June 01, 2014, 01:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Particle

I tried a different computer without success today.  Still no drive letter nor storage device at all listed in disk management.  Despite this I had some fun as I connected PV input to the controller for the first time today.  It seems to work well.  It's nice not throwing away all that power that I used to with a PWM controller.  Unfortunately, it's a cloudy day such that 740W of PV is only yielding 100-150W depending on cloud cover at any given moment.  heh  It's not quite enough to power the inverter itself when it drops down to the low side of that range, but I'm closer than I would have been otherwise.  I'm looking forward to a sunny day.

Mario

Particle when you are trying to connect to the Windows PC are you following this procedure?

- Turn off Kid Power ( both breakers Battery and PV)
- connect Kid USB cable to the square hole on the bottom of the unit? --Make sure the Cable is connected all the way--
- connect the other end to the PC USB slot --- If Laptop maybe try w/o the charger plugged in, if possible--
- Press and hold the SETUP button and turn on the Battery Breaker
- the LCD on the Kid Should Read  "Boot Loader 2.x"
- at this point Windows should start installing drivers automatically and a drive should appear in your Computer directory.

Another action to take is to make sure the cable you are using is functioning correctly.

Mario

inetdog

AFAIK Windows 8 and 8.1 will not work with drivers not coded and compiled specifically for the Windows 8 driver interface.
If a device has a USB signature which matches one of the known device types for which Microsoft has Windows 8 drivers, then a download will take place if needed.
Otherwise you may not even get a pop-up allowing you to manually load drivers from somewhere else.

Sometimes running a Windows Update will improve the situation as the list of supported devices is constantly changing.

Resthome

Quote from: inetdog on June 09, 2014, 05:39:39 PM
AFAIK Windows 8 and 8.1 will not work with drivers not coded and compiled specifically for the Windows 8 driver interface.

To tell Windows 8 it is OK to trust the driver you want to install. Do this, follow the steps below:
1. From the desktop, open Settings (move your mouse to the bottom/top-right-corner of the screen and wait for the pop-out bar to appear, and then click the Gear/Settings icon).
2. Click ‘Change PC Settings’.
3. Click ‘General’.
4. Scroll down, and click ‘Restart now’ under ‘Advanced startup’.
5. Wait a bit.
6. Click ‘Troubleshoot’.
7. Click ‘Advanced Options’
8. Click ‘Windows Startup Settings’
9. Click Restart.
10. Press 7 to boot windows with Driver Signature Enforcement disabled to allow you to install the drivers.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

atop8918

The Kid is designed to use the Windows native MSD driver which should ship with Windows out-of-the-box and so should not need any driver manipulation at all.
This being said perhaps Windows 8 does a check against "registered" devices (i.e. those who have paid the $10k to be on the list) and isn't letting the Kid connect.