Classic 200 and LiFePo4 Batteries

Started by grizzley, February 07, 2024, 09:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grizzley

I am looking for advice and recommendations on two things:

1. I have to change my battery bank again.  This time around I am seriously looking at LiFePo4 batteries and I am particularly interested in the server rack type batteries, like the EG4's or Pytes Ebox. Does anyone here have any thoughts, experiences, recommendations?  I am eager to learn to make a better choice and would rather rely on your experience than the nice sales materials. Does anyone have and is willing to also share longer term experience?  It looks from the forum posts that quite a number have moved to Lithium batteries

2. We are running our off-grid system off of two MidNite Classic 200. I have a Wizbang Jr.  All information I can find and am told by MidNite using these controllers that were installed in 2011 should not be an issue if the charge parameters are set correctly. Is that your experience as well and if we do this is there anything that you would recommend we do/don't do.

Thank you
1300W solar
3kw wind turbine
MidNite Classic 200
Magnum MS-PAE inverters
420 AH 48V battery bank

boB

Hello Grizzley...

Set the Absorb voltage to what the manufacturer suggests first.  Then the Float voltage which will be slightly lower in voltage.  Also Absorb time.  Usually, LiFePo4 batteries have some kind of Absorb time, minutes typically, to "balance" the cells.  This will be a higher voltage than nominal.

Also, the internal battery management system (BMS)  may turn the battery off if the voltage gets too high.

There is a newer software update for the Classic we are testing out.  When is gets tested a little more, you might think about updating to this one that will work a bit "tighter" with lithium batteries.

Here is a thread on LiFePo4 that is recent.  Muskoka is having some trouble with his Li battery though so be aware of that...  There are other postings on here about Li experience that  may also help.

https://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=6177.new#new

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

grizzley

Hi Bob thank you!
Are you aware of any battery related discussion forms?  I am trying to find as much user feedback on batteries that is not manufacturer driven as possible 
Thank you
1300W solar
3kw wind turbine
MidNite Classic 200
Magnum MS-PAE inverters
420 AH 48V battery bank

ClassicCrazy

I am using Jakiper ( also known now as Orient Power) batteries. The first version I got was okay but they really improved the build and used better cells in their newer models. I like it though because there is software that you can use to see and modify the bms parameters if needed , and there is also very good open source monitoring software. The SOK pro version are also very similar and use the same Pace bms in them.
My brother has Signature Solar eg4 batteries and the software you can see most details but it doesn't show the parameters or let you make changes if needed. The cells are welded together which is good but unlike the Jakiper / Orient Power or Sok which are bolted together so user serviceable if ever a cell did need to be swapped out.
If you want to see a more detailed review of Jakiper , look up Off Grid Garage because he did a review of build and detailed look at the bms on two of three models of those batteries.
Just make sure you get a battery that has good software and monitoring capabilities. All that I mentioned above also have display screen on front , though using software is much easier than display , though the display is better than nothing.
I use a Classic with the lithium and am just getting ready to test Bob's new firmware. It is important to get the Classic tweaked to compensate for any voltage drop in battery cables, and there is a setting to do that.
Larry 
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Quote from: grizzley on February 07, 2024, 01:57:34 PMHi Bob thank you!
Are you aware of any battery related discussion forms?  I am trying to find as much user feedback on batteries that is not manufacturer driven as possible 
Thank you

Grizzley,  I can't tell you about any authoritative forums where you can always trust what you read, BUT there is a LOT of discussion at the DIY Solar Forum...  There is a lot of talk and a lot of opinions but a lot of experience with new equipment, too.

https://diysolarforum.com/

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me