Off Grid cabin in Farellton Quebec

Started by Graham, January 19, 2013, 10:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toothy

West

We must have the same model of SWMBO! They try hard but it seems to be a slightly a foreign language.

I do have a new trick, I use the AUX 2 waste not high green light on the local app dashboard as the waste power green light. I told her if the green light is on or blinking knock your self out with whatever floats your boat. I have 2 Classics one is real diversion the other is the "SWMBO alert" feature. I think that should be added to the AUX2 drop down with the same parameters as waste not high.

Wade
2-Outback vfx3648's, 16 CALB CA400,   solar Classics 2/200's with 5.6kw of panels, WBjr's, Classic 200 with Kestrel 1kw turbine, Northern lights 10 kw back-up,

dgd

Quote from: Westbranch on March 26, 2013, 11:46:27 AM
SWMBO ... she is not up to speed on how to read that on the display yet AND the system is not in  her 'world' (kitchen).

AUX1 waste not high driving a large green LED in a wall mounted small box in the kitchen. 
Works for my SWMBO    ;D

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

mtdoc

Quote from: rossgr on March 25, 2013, 09:07:17 AM
Quote from: rossgr on January 20, 2013, 09:24:52 AM
Quote from: phonetic on January 20, 2013, 12:11:31 AM
Like to to know about your Arduino reading  classic Modbus and Outback serial data ?
any links for the Arduino code ?

I have the source code at http://netduinosolar.codeplex.com/, I'm currently working on the outback interface through the RS232 port on the mate. Will post an update once I get it working.

I finally got around to getting the Outback Mate RS232 interface working, I have posted an update on codeplex along with a deployment tool in the downloads area that will install the app on a netduino without the use of the NetduinoSDK or visual studio.

Here is the updated main page with the inverter & generator loads

The prototype with the optional LCD

Very nice Ross!

Have you considered getting one of Outbacks new AXS port devices?  If I understand it correctly, it uses a modbus interface and incoporates more system info AND control than the Mate RS232 data does.

If I ever get my Arduino/Labview monitoring system going, I think I may try to incorporate one of these.  At $135 , they're pretty cheap by RE equipment standards.

Array 1: Sanyo HIT225 X 8 on Wattsun tracker. Array 2: Evergreen ES-E-225 X 12 on shed roof. Midnite e-panel with Outback GVFX3648, FNDC and Classic 150 X 2. 436 AH AGMs. Honda eu2000i X 2.

Graham

Quote from: Westbranch on March 26, 2013, 11:46:27 AM
Hi Ross, reason I asked is SWMBO and I have been talking, she understands Opportunity loads and taking advantage of such, but she is not up to speed on how to read that on the display yet AND the system is not in  her 'world' (kitchen). Another poster described his alarm type setup that tells SWMBO if she can use the vacuum, etc..  Just an idea that might be useful.
cheers

I'm considering adding an interface from my app to www.thingspeak.com, so I could have events like 'float' be posted on twitter using their 'thingTweet' API (assuming you have an internet connection...)
Off-Grid Island cottage, Lac Simon QC Canada
370 Ahrs @ 24V (4 8L16 batteries)
4 x 250watt panels on dual axis trackers http://tinyurl.com/hfpkgr5
Classic 150, Whizbang Jr.
Android Monitor: http://tinyurl.com/lomzq3s

Westbranch

Nah, we are 'really off grid'.  Investigating a new satellite (Jupiter?) that has been put into service for internet, the AnikF2 was way behind a ridge, the new one is directly behind a mountain peak so we hope the elliptical' wobble'  keeps it available more than not...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

kibi

Nice work Ross.
Classics are a bit difficult to get hold of in my part of the world, but I hope to have one very soon. I was thinking about pulling data out of it in some way and posting it to my Cosm feed.
I currently have an Arduino Mega (Uno ran out of RAM when I added temperature sensors) reading the data out of my Victron BMV-600 battery monitor and posting it to Cosm.
The temperature sensors are DS18B20's. I'll add more for battery temperature, inverter temperature or anything else I can think of when my system starts coming together.

There is not a great deal of excitement on my Cosm feed at the moment because the inverter is just charging the battery continuously as the PV isn't installed yet.

Here is my Cosm feed: http://cosm.com/feeds/116608