E-Panel Wiring for XANTREX SW

Started by northwoods, May 17, 2012, 10:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northwoods

Hi I was looking at the wiring diagrams for the E-panel Light and am considering trying it out with my Xantrex SW 3000 inverter. I noticed there is no neutral in wired in the diagram. The diagram lists the Magnum and Outback 12 Volt inverters. Would the same diagram work for the Xantrex SW 3000? Thanks Scott

LostLoon

Scott,

I have looked at this before, and the hangup is the bypass assembly and neutral bus on the E-Panel. The Xantrex SW3000 has internal system grounding switching, it is really designed for mobile applications. Maybe someone else sees something I didn't, but I cannot see using the bypass assembly and neutral bus in the E-Panel with this inverter without either having no neutral to ground bond or two neutral to ground bonds, both undesirable.

I have used a MidNite Mini-DC PLUS with this inverter, and that is a pretty slick way to go for the DC side if you are using solar or wind, and you can use one of the dinrails to hold MNEAC breakers for your ins and outs on the AC side as well. No bypass...

Also, do you already own the SW3000? Supposedly, Schneider (parent company of Xantrex Mobile) will be releasing a new version of the SW that is designed for land use, is UL1741 listed, and a better choice if this is for your home. It will be 24V only...

northwoods

What do do think about switching the neutral along with the hot between the generator and the inverter. Perhaps replaceing the single pole slider with a dual pole slider. I guess I could also just run a bypass from the generator to the AC sub panel in a separate box. I need a bypass to run my dryer of the genny. Scott

Robin

Are you off-grid? If so, then the neutral to ground bond is fine inside the inverter, but you lose the bond when connected to the generator. Some inexpensive generators have the neutral permanently bonded to the frame also. This really is the wrong inverter for home use, but maybe you can find the neutral to ground bnd and remove it. We used to make them defeatable at Trace, but I do not know what Xantrex does.
The Lite would be a good choice for this inverter though, just try to defeat the bond. Then make the permanent bnd to neutral inside the E-PAnel.
Good luck,
Robin
Robin Gudgel