breaker problem

Started by mat, August 25, 2016, 04:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfcrazy

Quote from: TomW on August 29, 2016, 11:21:44 AM
Not sure if this is even true, or if it would apply here:

When we were rewiring this ~100 year old house replacing knob and tube wiring, our electrician told me breakers were only rated for a limited number of over current trips? The number he quoted was 3 or 5? I cannot remember for sure but it surprised me that it was so low? Cover your Arse for manufacturers or a real concern?

Just tossing it on the wall to see what sticks.

Tom

Tom you are very correct, Most AC breakers have a limited number of uses or are what we call "NOT Switch rated" However CBI and Carling claim our breakers to be "Switch rated" that being said I dont want to rule out a bad breaker just yet but this smells like firmware
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

mat

A bit of update...
So, new wiring, and another Kid (also loaded with 1811 fw) and this is the third day without breaker tripping.
Have to say that even with tight connections and clean wires, previous wires were probably sub quality ones...

Still i can see that some don't rule out a fw problem. I can't confirm this, everything seems "normal" now...

I will come back if anything happens again.

mat

Bam !

This morning, breaker was tripped again...

How to roll back to (a) previous fw ? I am not even sure which fw was loaded before (bad me again...). I think 1740... But really not sure...

BobWhite

Quote from: mat on September 01, 2016, 09:13:51 PM
Bam !

This morning, breaker was tripped again...

How to roll back to (a) previous fw ? I am not even sure which fw was loaded before (bad me again...). I think 1740... But really not sure...

Here is 1791, be sure its what you want to do!!
http://kb1uas.com/mnsforum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2427.0;attach=3547

I can't come up with 1740.

or go here
http://kb1uas.com/mnsforum/index.php?topic=2427.0

1741 is here
http://kb1uas.com/mnsforum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1888.0;attach=2557
or go here
http://kb1uas.com/mnsforum/index.php?topic=1888.msg17212#msg17212
12-Lifeline AGM 8D's
10-Lifeline AGM GPL 31T
16- Diehard GC2
4-Classic 3-150 and 1-200
1-Classic Lite
2-BRATS
5wiz bang Jrs, , 2- Samlex-24Volt
5- 235 MX60s
10- Sharp 198
10 Solar world 345 XL Mono

mike90045

<puzzzled> Not sure how firmware is able to cause a breaker to trip?  (Controller-Battery breaker)
unless at some point at daybreak, the controller allows the battery to backfeed the PV array ?  That would be a lot of backfeed!!
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

mat

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the links. I wasn't sure if i had to load a firmware or... Well, got it now...

1791 does ring a bell... As does 1741... Should have wrote this down, but had this idea that an officially released update could only change things for the best...x

Can you tell me a bit more about your advice :" Here is 1791, be sure its what you want to do!!"

I was getting quite confident, now i'm over cautious !

To Mike :
I just don't get it also ! All i can say is that this problem started after i did rhe update.   But as some who obviously know better than me (easy !) have aknowleged it's a possibility, i'll tend to listen... Well, i can also swap this breaker with the other one to see if any difference. Maybe swapping first then firmware next...

Thanks all for advices.

Mat

BobWhite

Hi Matt
I would recommend you read up on any firmware before installing, 1741 is a beta going on 2.5 years old and and 1791 also beta 1.5 year old. I think I would see what Mario or Halfcrazy has come up with on this! Either one will know best as to what firmware should be on that kid. Its only been a few days since Ryan said he was looking into it! JMHO

Walt
12-Lifeline AGM 8D's
10-Lifeline AGM GPL 31T
16- Diehard GC2
4-Classic 3-150 and 1-200
1-Classic Lite
2-BRATS
5wiz bang Jrs, , 2- Samlex-24Volt
5- 235 MX60s
10- Sharp 198
10 Solar world 345 XL Mono

Halfcrazy

So this issue is interesting, My thinking is it is the controller (We just dont usually have bad breakers) so I have asked to do the following steps:

1- Do a factory restore on the kid and see if this fixes it, if not
2- Change breaker and see if this fixes it, if not
3- Downgrade firmware and do a factory restore.

My logic is in the evening when the array is dropping off the controller MAY be trying to maintain voc and pushing current the wrong way, this seems highly unlikely as it should show up in every case so I am assuming it is because of #1 or #2
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Mario

Hello Mat,

Depending on the firmware you were updating from (you mentioned, first update in 2 years), the kid will need to be defaulted to factory settings as well as check for calibration on both the PV voltage and Battery voltage.
the reason for this is: in the first couple of firmware revisions when the kid was launched, the EEprom saved variables changed addresses as features were added and some of the calibration stuff also changed.

On last firmware revisions I have either make the variables static or if needed after the update the unit does a factory reset automatically, I assume you are running 1811 as that would be the last production released revision.

Please do a factory reset and check/adjust calibration. if you have questions on how to do this let me know.

That will tell us a lot, and I am sorry you are having problems with the Kid CC

Mario

mat

Ok, so this morning breaker tripped again...
I did the factory reset, adjust settings and calibrate (by the way, i don't understand why this calibration need to be done. I mean, why the Kid which can do so much, is less accurate than a cheap voltmeter ? Well, off subject...)

All that reminded me that i DID a factory reset when swapping Kids, as second one had been programmed for 12v and needed 48v...
So i'm not sure it will work, but let's see...

Next is breaker swapping if happens again.

Thanks for support

Mat

Westbranch

Mat , the calibration is to make sure the KID is set to the same Voltage that your DVM 'sees' at the terminals of the battery...

that will account for the losses in the wires and connectors between the KID and the battery posts...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

mat

So, 7 days since factory restore. No tripping yet...

I was told by Ryan that some people experienced same problem, and apparently factory restore is the way to go to fix the problem.

I hope it will last !

Mario

Hello I do not know if there are people still having the problem of breakers being tripped when the sun is going down or under normal operation, But here I will attach the latest code for those who are having the problem.

This code has not been extensively tested, but it fixes most of the bugs mentioned in other treads.

Mario

mat

Hi,
It's about 2 months for me since factory reset and no more tripping since...
For the next 5 months, i'll be on site only few days every 2 weeks, so i'll wait a bit before trying this new firmware !
Good to see that it still progress, any improvements beside bug fixing ?

Thanks

Mat