Epanel 500 Amp shunt and a Doc Wattson?

Started by TomW, November 21, 2012, 10:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomW

I have just installed an Epanel for our FX2524 inverter and a Midnite Classic 150. The Epanel comes with an install 500 amp 50 millivolt shunt. I have been using a couple Doc Wattsons to monitore my incoming power on wind and solar for years.

I read that you can modify the Doc to use an external shunt but cannot seem to find the information on the shunt requirements to do that. Just curious if the included shunt on the Epanel would be appropriate for the external shunt?

I am squirming around trying to get some monitoring back in the system since I upgraded to the Epanel.  I like watching analog meters do their thing but I appreciate having data over time I can see.

Maybe there is a device made for doing what I want with that Epanel shunt in the battery negative lead? Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

Tom

Got the solar upgrade installed yesterday ;D  Sorry I just love looking at these:

Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Nashville

Nice set-up! Is it stationary or tracking?

Vic

Hi Tom,

YES,  a very nice looking installation indeed.

Am sure that you are a capable searcher on the Net,  but,  have you studied this (?):

http://www.rc-electronics-usa.com/special-mods.html

A 500 A shunt is bodacious,  but fairly common for DC Conduit boxes and panels.

Have Fun,  Best Wishes for the Holidays and the New Year, Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Halfcrazy

Tom
We also should have the first revision of Current Sense Modules for the Classic in about 4-6 weeks. You will make a great Beta tester for one as you are reading the ModBus so that will be a huge help.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

TomW

Quote from: Halfcrazy on December 23, 2012, 06:40:51 AM
Tom
We also should have the first revision of Current Sense Modules for the Classic in about 4-6 weeks. You will make a great Beta tester for one as you are reading the ModBus so that will be a huge help.

Ryan

OK, can't wait.

Will it sense current through the E-panel shunt or some other mechanism?
Always up to trying new stuff.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

dbcollen

Tom,

I just found a few 100a shunts in my parts drawer if you need one for your doc watson conversion.

TomW

Quote from: dbcollen on December 23, 2012, 12:35:55 PM
Tom,

I just found a few 100a shunts in my parts drawer if you need one for your doc watson conversion.

db;

Might take you up on that later this winter. Not sure I have enough oomph in a soldering iron to unsolder the internal shunt.

Catch you in IRC to work out any details.

Thanks.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Halfcrazy

It will monitor the Shunt in the epanel or any comparable shunt for that matter and report it back to the Classic

TomW

Quote from: Halfcrazy on December 23, 2012, 03:01:20 PM
It will monitor the Shunt in the epanel or any comparable shunt for that matter and report it back to the Classic

Ryan;

Now you opened a can of worms....

Will it support multiple sources? That would be a nifty, useful feature.

Sorry, feature greed is a sickness I seem to suffer from.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Halfcrazy

Well it actually bolts onto the shunt so it will support a single shunt. So a single Classic will support a single MNCSM (current sense module).

TomW

Quote from: Halfcrazy on December 23, 2012, 03:29:58 PM
Well it actually bolts onto the shunt so it will support a single shunt. So a single Classic will support a single MNCSM (current sense module).

Ryan;

Aw, well I guess that is a good V1.  ;D :-X

I do like the Midnite MN... naming convention.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Halfcrazy

Yes we have another product in the fire now that will be pretty cool. It will be mulit Channel and speak ModBus. It will have Ethernet and rs232. I do not want to leak to much but it will be a very very powerful and useful device for not much money.

Ryan

TomW

Ryan;

No offense but don't you have a life outside Midnite Solar? I see you on here on weekends when most folks are doing recreational stuff. Don't get me wrong it makes for an excellent reputation for online support! I just don't have any ambition in the winter so I spend time bugging folks online.

Anyway, I get the "playing it close to the vest" but just hate to wait cuz I know whatever you come up with will be cool stuff.

Monitoring and logging is one of my addictions. And why I have a pile of unused and / or dead devices like Linksys Slugs, Guru plugs & Cai Webcontrol boards here.

Maybe one of the former Outback guys could explain why when I power down a computer that monitors the Mate via a USB to serial cable it shuts off the FX? That has frustrated attempts to monitor the Outback gear that way for a couple years. Sorry that is topic drift on a competitors products but I did not get much help from official sources ....

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Volvo Farmer

Am I correct in assuming that this MNCSM will allow me to end absorb with the actual amps flowing into the battery, irrespective of loads on the system?

If so, put me on the list of people to notify when they become available, because I want one!

Halfcrazy

Yes you are absolutely spot on. The MNCSM will allow that Classic to end its absorb charge based on End Amps but the TRUE end amps.