cant get my batteries to charge higher

Started by peterfey, March 05, 2022, 10:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterfey

Hi. Ive Been running the mindnite classic for a few years now.
ive just put in new batteries. ive got 4 x 6v batteries on a 24v system(Same as before)
we are running on hydro.
ive been advised to get batteries up to 27 or 28 V
i think ive got something wrong with my settings. im struggling to get my head around values for Float, absorb, EQ etc.

on the main screen i have :
In  80.6v 720w Kwh 11.9                    Aux2 starting to come on           Batt 26.6v   27.7A
                 Float MPPT

in the battery setting
EQ 30.6 V              Absorb 29.2 V                Float 27 V

in Chge time    -   Absorb 2.00                    EQ 2.00

in Limits
Output  64amps            input 99 Amps      min 27volts         Tcomp max 30.7 volts (what is this setting ?)

in AUX2    Diversion Hi    Volts 27.8           width 1.0v

Can anyone give me some advise as the the numbers that are programmed in ? are they wright, wrong, what should i change ?

Thankyou   

boB

The min/max setting looks good but is mainly for AGM and Gel batteries to limit the voltage from changing over that voltage range with the temperature compensation probe.  The settings you have shown should not cause the problem.

I am guessing that you are only seeing  "Bulk MPPT" on the lower right status ?   The battery voltage should just follow your settings   BUT...

"in AUX2    Diversion Hi    Volts 27.8           width 1.0v"    I think this is the problem....   The diversion is most likely turning on at 27.8V or maybe even 1.0 volt below that (26.8V) and so I would turn that setting up.

Or maybe try changing the diversion to Waste Not  Aux2 mode instead.  This mode would have the diversion load follow the Absorb, Float and EQ voltage settings along with the temperature compensation changes.  It is just diversion mode that changes diversion voltage with the different charging stages.  With the Waste Not, the voltage still has that voltage width (1V) that it works over so you may want to raise the Absorb and Float voltage a few tenths of a volt higher than you are expecting it to regulate at so the waste not/diversion load can keep that voltage down and then the actual Absorb, Float, EQ setting would act as a fail safe in case your diversion load gets too hot...  For instance, if you are heating water.

The relative voltage can be set say, -1.0V and keep the 1.0V width.  There are two choices I think that are AC and DC but that setting may be in the "clipper" menu.  You want that to be AC setting I think which should be the default setting.

Maybe you are diverting to keep the hydro from being unloaded ?  Waste Not mode can be used for that of course too...

Is your hydro an AC or DC generator/alternator ?   If AC, is it 3-phase and then rectified and sent down to the Classic input ?

It may be that you need some kind of clipper mode ?  But if it has been working for a few years, you may have already been through all of this ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

peterfey

Thanks for your reply

i will give your ideas a try and let you know how i get on.

Hydro is DC
yes we are diverting power to a hot water cylinder once batteries are charged.