Mechanism on new disconnecting combiners

Started by SolarJedi, February 10, 2012, 02:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SolarJedi

What is the mechanism for disconnecting your new combiners?  I have a local design criteria that calls for knife blade type discos in certain circumstances.  It would be awesome to be able to meet this without and additional fused safety switch on the roof.  Second question.  Can we get a NEMA 4 rating on the 4 String Basic?  Would be great!
thank you

"the photovoltaic disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily assessable location
separate from the point of entry of the system conductors. There shall be two
disconnecting means for the array. The main disconnect means shall be provided
for each array adjacent to the main service to the structure. The secondary
disconnect means shall be located on the roof adjacent to the array and in sight of
the array location. The main and secondary means of disconnect shall be a
manual load break fusible disconnect switch. The manual load break fusible
disconnect switch shall be provided with a clear indication of the switch position.
The manual load break fusible disconnect is required to provide a separation point,
and must be capable of being locked in the open position"

Halfcrazy

Where are you located? I am interested in what "provided with a clear indication of the switch position" means. I have had another AHJ insisting on knife switches but this would read that anything labeled On and Off should be fine?

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

SolarJedi

I am in Austin Texas.  Our inspector is unique ;)  I would take the clear indication to mean an on and off label.  This ordinance amending the NEC appeared one day and there it was. 

Robin

Here is the exact wording from NEC2011. A label is adequate. No mention of knife blades or such. The industry is going away from that old technology.  Robin

(B) Fuse Servicing. Disconnecting means shall be installed
on PV output circuits where overcurrent devices (fuses) must
be serviced that cannot be isolated from energized circuits.
The disconnecting means shall be within sight of, and accessible
to, the location of the fuse or integral with fuse holder
and shall comply with 690.17. Where the disconnecting means
are located more than 1.8 m (6 ft) from the overcurrent device,
a directory showing the location of each disconnect shall be
installed at the overcurrent device location.
Non-load-break-rated disconnecting means shall be
marked "Do not open under load."
690.17 Switch or Circuit Breaker. The disconnecting means
for ungrounded conductors shall consist of a manually operable
switch(es) or circuit breaker(s) complying with all of the
following requirements:
(1) Located where readily accessible
(2) Externally operable without exposing the operator to
contact with live parts
(3) Plainly indicating whether in the open or closed position
(4) Having an interrupting rating sufficient for the nominal
circuit voltage and the current that is available at the
line terminals of the equipment
Where all terminals of the disconnecting means may
be energized in the open position, a warning sign shall
be mounted on or adjacent to the disconnecting means.
The sign shall be clearly legible and have the following
words or equivalent:
WARNING
ELECTRIC SHOCK HAZARD.
DO NOT TOUCH TERMINALS.
TERMINALS ON BOTH THE LINE
AND LOAD SIDES MAY BE ENERGIZED
IN THE OPEN POSITION.
Robin Gudgel

SolarJedi

Thanks Robin,

I went back and read what I posted and sure enough I missed something.

The manual load break fusible disconnect is required to provide a separation point,
and must be capable of being locked in the open position"

The sticking point seems to be the term separation.  So far I have been unable to get a standard disconnecting combiner to suffice on the roof because of that term.  I found this crazy contactor thing made in England that says it creates separation.  This is getting tough to deal with.  My inspector is dialing in on that point.  My problem is that I am not clear on the definition of separation.  I spied out an install that went through the building and it appeared that the installer had used something similar to the device I found.  I recently had to purchase 3 200a fused safety switches to place on the roof right next to my combiners in order to satisfy my ahj.  Rather bogus in my opinion, but thats the way we roll around here. 

Halfcrazy

Well from my understanding here the utility can require "Visual Separation" on the AC Inverter disconnect before the Mains. Ours of course would not satisfy that but for a combiner disconnect they are perfectly fine.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Robin

Your inspector is disregarding industry practices and products. Maybe it is time to talk to his boss and explain what the solar industry actually uses?
Robin Gudgel

niel

it needs to be lockable on a roof???? for whom are you to be locking it against, santa claus??? no, that's only during Christmas so it must be gremlins. ???