Classic 150, rev 1849, WBJR not limiting net?

Started by MadScientist267, December 01, 2014, 08:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadScientist267

Is the 1849 firmware for the classic 150 not limiting net battery current via the WBJR? I was under the impression it was capable of doing this, and was a key factor in the design of my system, and one of the bigger factors in considering the classic. Could have sworn I read somewhere on here that it did, but I can't seem to find it now.

I've way oversized my PV to help charge in almost any conditions, and so the net limiting will be critical to proper operation of my system, supporting loads while limiting charge (and thereby protecting the batteries)... I'll be capable of more than 65A, into a 235Ah string... I'm not comfortable with that! :o

It's wired properly, reports everything correctly, etc... although recently I've lost the amber limit LED on the MNGP, but it still reports "amp limit" on the status pages.

Factory reset did not resolve either issue.

Charge > Advanced > Shunt is set.

Please advise, I've got a problem on my hands if net limiting isn't part of the classic's design :-\

Steve

zoneblue

My recollection is that current limiting is still done on the classic amps. Bob has previously said they are keen to add an option to make it also work off WBJr amps as well.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

MadScientist267

Hmm ok. Well I guess good news is that it isn't critical *yet*... but the end of the tunnel is near and things will be going online sooner than later. Hopefully this is in a very near future update.

Thanks for the info, thought maybe I was losing my mind (more than usual!)  ;D

Steve

boB

Hey Steve !  Good to see you here !

That is not in there right now but this does need to be added. 

Let me see how long that will take and if really easy, will be added to the
next rev which is coming very soon.  If not so easy, then it will be after this
but maybe you could get the beta version of that ? How's that sound ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

MadScientist267

Hey boB :D

Sounds great! Glad to hear it's in the works. Just let me know what you need me to do, I'll be there ;)

Steve

MadScientist267

Any word on where this stands?

I'm getting ready to do the panels soon, having that in play if at all possible would be awesome. ;)

Steve

boB

Quote from: MadScientist267 on February 07, 2015, 10:37:36 PM
Any word on where this stands?

I'm getting ready to do the panels soon, having that in play if at all possible would be awesome. ;)

Steve

Steve, that feature is going to have to wait a little bit longer.
Sorry about that.  We'll get it in there though.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

WillEert

I am very interested in WBJr  control of current limiting to the battery bank also. Limiting total current from the array in order to limit current to the battery bank reduces power available from the array, assuming that array is capable of more current output than the batteries can safely take. Hopefully this upgrade does not go too far onto the back-burner.

Cheers

CWE
(1)24 ET 185 mono, Classic 150,8x Surrette 6CS25p, 4x Magnum 4448, homecooked diversion system;(2)15 Heliene 330 mono,Classic 150;(3)2X6 Hansol345mono, 2 stand alone Hotspot ACDC12C Minisplit heat pumps.(4)15 Hanwha Q cell 400 1/2 cell, Classic 200: (5)1X6 HanwhaQcell 400 1 Hotspot minisplit ACDC18C

Brlux

Any update on when this feature may make it in to the firmware? This would be a very useful feature that is not in any other CCs that I am aware of?

Thanks

boB

No date set yet.   It will be a nice feature though.

How much current do you see into your batteries during charging
and what is the manufacturer's current limit specification ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mtdoc

This will be a welcome feature for those of us with gridtie/battery back up systems as well.

In my case, the size of my PV is not a concern for battery charging but for my inverter selling back to the grid.

Currently I have 4500 watts of PV in 2 arrays, 2 Classics.  I have one 3600 watt (GFX3648) inverter. So in order not to blow up the inverter on cold, sunny days, I need to limit amps on the classics independently for each array. This is not optimal since sometimes one array is shaded and the other is not, etc...

I'm hoping to add more PV soon so the issue will only grow.

I hope this feature gets implemented soon. With PV prices so low, I think oversizing arrays is becoming more common. This feature will be a big selling point!
Array 1: Sanyo HIT225 X 8 on Wattsun tracker. Array 2: Evergreen ES-E-225 X 12 on shed roof. Midnite e-panel with Outback GVFX3648, FNDC and Classic 150 X 2. 436 AH AGMs. Honda eu2000i X 2.