Does the KID, in conjunction with WBjr, dynamically adjust Ahr remaining?

Started by New KID On The Block, November 19, 2014, 04:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New KID On The Block

I have the KID with the WBjr and temp sensor.

I have a battery bank consisting of 2 x 125Ahr batteries connected in series to for a nominal 24v battery bank.

I have noticed, in summer/hotter months, the total Ahr remaining reach as high as 127/128Ahr. Now, the temp in the evening is much cooler and the KID never shows even 125Ahr. It's mostly under 120Ahr, even 113Ahr.

My question is: does the KID, with WBjr connected, dynamically adjust the total Ahr displayed?
If there is a big temp variance between the day time and night time, even without any load/discharge, will the total Ahr reported by the KID change significantly as well? 

Thanks.

boB

Well, assuming no amp-hours have been removed or added to the battery during that time,
the temperature of the battery would add or subtract capacity as the battery heats and cools.

Isn't there an adjustment on the Kid for battery temperature affecting the WB Jr. ?

There is in the Classic and there should be one in the Kid.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

New KID On The Block

Quote from: boB on November 20, 2014, 01:25:40 AM
Well, assuming no amp-hours have been removed or added to the battery during that time,
the temperature of the battery would add or subtract capacity as the battery heats and cools.

Isn't there an adjustment on the Kid for battery temperature affecting the WB Jr. ?

There is in the Classic and there should be one in the Kid.

boB

Hi boB, yes, the KID has an adjustment. What I'm trying to confirm is whether or not I will see the adjustment on the total Ahr reported on the screen.

As you give in your example, say battery that is fully charged (made it to float) for the day. It's 77F in the afternoon at the end of ABSORB. Total Ahr reported on the KID is 125.

If there is no load at all -- everything disconnected from the battery bank -- but the temp drops to 50F late at night, will the KID report a lower Ahr, e.g. 119Ahr, or will it stay at 125Ahr?

I'm trying to understand if the KID dynamically adjusts the total Ahr reported on the screen given wild temp changes throughout the day.

I think it does, but just wanted to verify with official MidNite folks.

Thanks.

Rybren

Quote from: New KID On The Block on November 22, 2014, 08:57:35 PM
If there is no load at all -- everything disconnected from the battery bank -- but the temp drops to 50F late at night, will the KID report a lower Ahr, e.g. 119Ahr, or will it stay at 125Ahr?

I'm trying to understand if the KID dynamically adjusts the total Ahr reported on the screen given wild temp changes throughout the day.

I think it does, but just wanted to verify with official MidNite folks.

Thanks.

That's what my Classic seems to do.  I suspect that the kids works the same.
4 x 210W PV, Classic 150, e-panel, Samlex PST-1500-24, 232AH 24V

vtmaps

Quote from: New KID On The Block on November 22, 2014, 08:57:35 PM

This has been discussed previously with regards to the Classic:
http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=1706.msg15294#msg15294

--vtMaps

New KID On The Block

Quote from: vtmaps on November 23, 2014, 04:10:46 PM
This has been discussed previously with regards to the Classic:
http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=1706.msg15294#msg15294

--vtMaps

Thanks vtMaps. Very insightful thread. I read it.
Honestly, even given Bob's explanation in the other thread, I'm still not sure if the KID (or the classic) is actually dynamically changing the total Ahr value displayed on the screen when temp changes throughout the day.

Quote from: Rybren on November 22, 2014, 10:34:00 PM
That's what my Classic seems to do.  I suspect that the kids works the same.

Thanks Rybren for your input

Vic

N K O T B,

The Classic,  with the latest FirmWare DOES display,  on the MNGP, the temperature-adjusted AH Capacity remaining in the battery.   FWIW,   Have not yet installed the WBjr on the KID,  so cannot say what it does,  in this regard.     Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Kid does the same kind of thing as the Classic/MNGP does.

The Amp-Hours remaining should be modified by the battery temperature in real time... Any time...
That's the way it is supposed to work anyway.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

vtmaps

Quote from: boB on November 25, 2014, 02:21:17 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Kid does the same kind of thing as the Classic/MNGP does.

The Amp-Hours remaining should be modified by the battery temperature in real time... Any time...

boB, that is the opposite of what you wrote here:
http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=1706.msg15254#msg15254
QuoteIf you were to take a 100K Ohm pot and plug it into the Batt temp sense jack (the sensor is 10K at 25C), and at that time, the SOC% was at, say, 90%, and you adjust the temperature, the AH remaining would stay still and the percentage SOC would change to show the remaining amp-hour's percentage of that capacity as you turned the pot..

--vtMaps

EDIT: I sure hope that thinking about this doesn't slow down your inverter design efforts   ;)

boB

Quote from: vtmaps on November 25, 2014, 03:45:49 AM
Quote from: boB on November 25, 2014, 02:21:17 AM

boB, that is the opposite of what you wrote here:
http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=1706.msg15254#msg15254
QuoteIf you were to take a 100K Ohm pot and plug it into the Batt temp sense jack (the sensor is 10K at 25C), and at that time, the SOC% was at, say, 90%, and you adjust the temperature, the AH remaining would stay still and the percentage SOC would change to show the remaining amp-hour's percentage of that capacity as you turned the pot..

--vtMaps

EDIT: I sure hope that thinking about this doesn't slow down your inverter design efforts   ;)

Oh...  OK.  I would believe that first answer then because I was more in-tune  with the whole thing then.
Inverters are taking more of my thought processes nowadays.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

zoneblue

6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

Westbranch

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

CDN-VT

I got 2-bits !!
They never collected it on the last tour-de-midnight .
Be down just B4 Xmas

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels