How Do I Prevent My Classic 150 from Ever Going over 15V?

Started by zulu, March 05, 2013, 10:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomW

Quote from: dgd on March 15, 2013, 12:03:26 AM
Zulu,

what happened? is the problem solved? you had people interested.. ???

dgd

Yep, looked like folks were zeroing in on the problem.

Remote troubleshooting can be frustrating for everyone. :o

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Westbranch

well it's been over a week...??? perhaps we dished up a right answer along the way..?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

dgd

..but,  it would be nice to know what happened
If nothing else but to possibly assist someone who could have similar  issues.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

zulu

Quote from: dgd on March 15, 2013, 12:03:26 AM
Zulu,

what happened? is the problem solved? you had people interested.. ???

dgd

See 2nd last paragraph of my last post -- the "month or so" part.

My RV is in storage, but comes out next weekend, but there are several things I need done before I check on solar. Maybe mid-April.

Don't worry -- I'll keep you posted.

Halfcrazy

I have had 2-3 complaints of failed inverters in the last week and they where all caused by a bad battery. Some inverters and charge controllers can not regulate and the battery voltage will rise to deadly levels for the inverters. The last one was a bank of L16's that where being charged by a Morning star. One of the L16's failed open and the battery voltage spiked smoking a pair of XW inverters.

The moral to my story is the Classic does regulate "Very" fast and would not cause this destruction but it is apparent that a lot of gear will not regulate very fast if at all. I am going to be excited to hear what Zulu finds when he gets the RV out of storage.

Question is this problem "Always" when connected to shore power? I wonder if the inverters do not regulate well when charging against a fairly open circuit (IE bad battery)

Ryan

Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

zulu

One month later, a new set of 4 Lifelines (courtesy of Lifeline) and it all seems to be working.

I added another panel so I now have 3 Kyocera 245s connected in parallel.

I set a voltage limit of 14.9V and it appears to be working. The Classic is not having issues with my Magnum MS2000 charger -- no faults thrown so far.