Off Grid in Southern Utah

Started by plongson, January 06, 2013, 10:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plongson

Not sure if you guys ever saw a picture of my setup. I posted it somewhere else some time back but it's not here so...here ya go!!

Been over one year totally on our own (11-2012 to 01-2013) and  it's great. Thanks to all at this site and the staff at Midnite for all the help and suggestions.

10-Astronergy 235 watt panels
Fixed 180° south face-No tracker
Midnite Solar Classic MPPT Charge Controller 250V
Mini-Magnum MS4448PAE Power Center
Battery Bank: Fortress E-Vault MAX 18.5kW Lithium
Kubota SQ1200 21kW diesel genset
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

TomW

Sweet.

I am envious of you guys with the ability to make such a neat and clean install.

Mine tend to be much more crude  and usually grown in place.

I like the iron wildlife, too.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

dgd

Wow!  Pristine and surgically clean installation, excellent work.
So inspiring it disturbs me when I look at my own installation - what a relief when Tom posted his pic. ;D

Are those PVs on a tracker? they seem almost vertical compared to mine that are almost flat
(sorry just read your sig and they not)

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

SolarMusher

Very nice, I love it.
Just a little advice Paul, you'd better change these delta arrestors with midnite SPD. I've smoked two Outback VFX with this old Delta stuff.
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

Vic

Yep Paul,

A very,  very clean installation!

Great looking residence,  with those great distant vistas,  and also love the ferrous  wildlife.

Also love that beautiful genset.  Very nice work!  Have fun,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Vern Faulkner

I'd like it if you would be so kind as to show a picture of the back side of your module array: I'm struggling with some design challenges related to mounting modules, a nearby grove of trees, and this thing called winter.

plongson

Thanks for all the kind words. It's been a long road getting to where we are now. We bought the 20 ac property about 10 years ago and lived on it in the summer months in a travel trailer tending a small orchard of apples, pears and cherries, hence the large genset to pump water. There is not many neighbors (closest about a mile) and with no power we immediately found out we needed to get the trailer on solar. That is where I cut my teeth so to say...

As far as a clean install, I've been planning the entire project in my head for years so when you can start from scratch it makes it much easier to have a finished product from the get-go.

Hey SolarMusher, I know exactly what you are saying about the Delta arrestors. I've been thinking about getting rid of them too. What is involved in replacing them? Are they "sized" for the system? If I get that info, I'll call and order some up right away.

dgd, no tracker I just adjust the angle twice a year. Winter is as close to 52* as I can get and summer is suppose to be 14* at my latitude, although it makes such a great perch for the birds and consequently a place for them to poop, I keep the summer angle a bit steeper.

Vern, I will keep you in mind and get a picture as soon as I can. I used an Astro-energy top of pole mount for the array. It was designed for the panels and mounted on the top of a piece of 8" well casing I used for the pole. VERY well made and highly recommended.

Paul
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

TomW

plongson;

The Midnite Surge Suppressors are sized for the voltage they are on. 115, 300 and 600 volt models are in use here. AC or DC. They can be had for less than list from Arizona Wind and Sun.

You can read up on them here:

http://www.midnitesolar.com/products.php?menuItem=products&productCat_ID=23&productCatName=Surge%20Protection%20Devices

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

dgd

Quote from: plongson on January 07, 2013, 10:09:36 AM

dgd, no tracker I just adjust the angle twice a year. Winter is as close to 52* as I can get and summer is suppose to be 14* at my latitude, although it makes such a great perch for the birds and consequently a place for them to poop, I keep the summer angle a bit steeper.

Paul

On a new commercial PV system  mounted on a hospital roof I noticed the topmost edges of the PVs had rubber strips. These were the rubber blades you see  on the bottom of doors that work as a weather strip to keep water from blowing in. About 40mm tall set vertical. Birds not happy trying to perch as blade not steady enough. I thought it was a great idea where access to panel not easy - to wash off dried bird poo.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

SolarMusher

Hi Paul,
One SPD300 on PV side and one SPD300 on each AC leg in your Magnum panel (two for 240V), same knockout diameter as delta.
Very nice set up, you can be proud of your system!
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

plongson

Hey Erik, I saw another show on NATGEO about mushers and their dogs. A guy hand building sleds for competition and everyday use, guys training sled dogs and lots of other cool stuff. Made me think of you. Got any pictures of you and your dogs?? I think that's way cool...
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

SolarMusher

Hey Paul,
My files were too large, I try it again.
Build my own sleds too... x10, three weeks for each  :P! But 15 years after, they are still alive.
Send you a few pics.
Wish the best,
Erik

SolarMusher

Two more on James Bay, Northern Quebec.
Erik

plongson

That's absolutely amazing. The thought of those dogs, the sight and sounds of that all going on, dogs are wonderful creatures. We have 3 that we rescued from shelters and certain death, and they have become the best companions you can ask for. Mostly I prefer the company of dogs over most humans...LOL
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

TomW

Quote from: plongson on January 09, 2013, 05:33:16 PM
Mostly I prefer the company of dogs over most humans...LOL

+1

Me too! We only have one dog, a rescue its like he knows we kept him from the executioner.

His name is Buddy and that is what he is. Loyal and the heart of a lion in a 40# canine.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)