News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Check WBjr wire

Started by opticalmike, September 08, 2014, 09:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticalmike

I have completed my install of shunt wbjr and Kid all works except a message that toggles on and off stating to check wbjr wire....
I don't get a light flashing on the WBjr circuit board. Is there a possibility that mine is defective?

opticalmike

I did take the kid apart and using the push type connector beside the indicated post pulled the wire back out and shortened it. I stripped the wire and pushed down and reinserted the wire into the WBJr connector.
Same issue.
Any suggestions?

opticalmike

I did use the smaller stand offs/ spacers on the backside of the wbjr next to the shunt.

brad.midnite

Hi opticalmike. Sorry for the trouble.

It is possible that the Wb. Jr you received or The Kid is defective. I'll assume you've wired it correctly.

Just in case though. Make certain the Whizbang Jr is firmly attached to the shunt in the correct orientation, with battery-negative attached to one side and your system (e.g. Kid, etc..) negatives attached to the other side (as shown in the diagram provided with the Whizbang Jr., polarity matters).

The Whizbang Jr. is powered by current supplied through The Kid which returns through the shunt. If no such path exists it will not power up.

Here's a question for you opticalmike. Is this a 12V system? Or do you have 6V/12V batteries at your disposal?

If you take 12 volts DC and attach the positive lead to the Whizbang Jr's violet wire and hold the negative lead against the right-hand side terminal of the Whizbang Jr. (the terminal near the large capacitor the plastic cover is formed around) and hold it there for 3 seconds, the Whizbang Jr's LED should light up and stay lit until you break the connection.

This is the Whizbang Jr's way of saying 'I have power, but I'm seeing no communication'.

If you do that and it lights up, but doesn't function when wired correctly to The Kid, then The Kid is the issue.
On the other hand, if it does not light up, then the Whizbang Jr. is defective.

In either case, we'll make it right.

-Brad

opticalmike

I have this system working perfect.... Thanks for the help.
Mike

Rybren

So,  what was the issue?  It might help someone else who encounters similar problems.
4 x 210W PV, Classic 150, e-panel, Samlex PST-1500-24, 232AH 24V

opticalmike

Should have re-read instructions, tried to shunt all the positive loads, instead of the negative. ;D

tecnodave

Optical mike

That is good information in itself.....I would have assumed that shunting the positive would fry the WBjr........someone in design foresaw that and provided protection for that.

td
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

Rybren

I think that at some point or another, we've all failed at RTFM. ;D
4 x 210W PV, Classic 150, e-panel, Samlex PST-1500-24, 232AH 24V

TomW

Quote from: Rybren on September 09, 2014, 05:19:07 PM
I think that at some point or another, we've all failed at RTFM. ;D

Yep, my motto is "When all else fails, Read the Fine Manual"

:o
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Westbranch

And look at the pretty pictures too... ::)
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Halfcrazy

Read the Manual? I always try first and use the manual as a last resort
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time