Remote MNGP with multiple classics, Follow Me network.

Started by Mgallo, March 23, 2013, 01:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mgallo

I love both options of using a remote MNGP and the Follow Me features.

With the "Follow Me" function and connections how do we add a remote MNGP?

For example having 2-3 classics all still having there own MNGP's and then having one remote MNGP somewhere else in the building etc.
As normally the remote MNGP plugs into the SLAVE/OUT port, but when using follow me connections the SLAVE/OUT port is used up.  So how do we do this to allow each classic to keep there MNGP and still have a remote MNGP.
I understand that with follow we can program any classic on the network so you can have one withought a MNGP kinda like a classic lite, but it is nice and more desirable to have each classic still to have there own MNGP in the event of network or other issues one can still easily access that classic etc. 
Thank you kindly,
Michele Gallo

Westbranch

Isn't this what the Local Status panel does? Are you not using it?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Halfcrazy

This is an issue with the follow me network. I think boB had a splitter made to use 2 MNGP's I will have to rattle his cage and see if I am right or dreaming?

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Mgallo

sounds cool about the splitter.
Yes I use the local status panel it is great, but it is also very convenient to just look at a MNGP on the wall in the kitchen for example vrs always having a computer on.  And to be honest I have lots of customers, believe it or not, that don't use computers.  I cant wait till the day we can just have an app on my Galaxy smart phone, or iPhone for some.  I sometimes do a work around of using TeamViewer to do remote despot from my smartphone to laptop, but if using cell data can get crazy pricey if not using in wifi.
Never the less I would love to see how to use the splitter Ryan mentioned, keep me posted on how I can get one or make one.
Cheers
Michele 

Westbranch

ya, I agree with the simplicity of "ONE"  for all...
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,

boB

You can have one MNGP per Classic.  Each MNGP can look at another Classic on the network but
it does slow the network down slightly because it adds more traffic to those cables and some times
they happen to conflict but nothing bad should happen.

What I would do is to normally have the MNGP looking at (talking to) its own Classic that
it is plugged in to and when you need to look at or control another Classic just change the
address that MNGP is talking to.

This MNGP plugged into a Classic could be pulled off the Classic and placed in the house
or in another room of course.  Ryan found out that a regular phone cable will power
the MNGP for something around 150 plus feet of cable but after that you may need
to add a wall-wart power supply to help power that MNGP if it is run too much further
than that distance.  The communications itself will run much farther than this...
It's mainly the power for the MNGP that gets iffy at longer distances.

So, for a Classic Lite, just remove the Lite panel (MNLP) and replace it with
a MNGP and run that into the other room or kitchen or wherever and you can
leave the other MNGP on a Classic.

If Follow-Me is working, that pretty much takes up 2 of the 3 comm phone jacks in
each Classic and you are left with the one MNGP jack in each Classic.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Mgallo

Hello guys thanks for the responses thus far.
Not sure if I asked my original question correctly, or fully understand if boB's answered mine. What I was wishing to do was have 3 classics as normal with there own MNGP's still mounted on them, and a 4th remote MNGP to be able to monitor them all from elsewhere.
Ryan was thinking maybe we can use a splitter or something to allow to also connect a remote MNGP as when networking 3 classics together the port needed to connect a remote MNGP is taken up for the follow me network.  This is not using classic lights.
Michele

boB

Quote from: Mgallo on March 23, 2013, 10:10:43 PM
Hello guys thanks for the responses thus far.
Not sure if I asked my original question correctly, or fully understand if boB's answered mine. What I was wishing to do was have 3 classics as normal with there own MNGP's still mounted on them, and a 4th remote MNGP to be able to monitor them all from elsewhere.
Ryan was thinking maybe we can use a splitter or something to allow to also connect a remote MNGP as when networking 3 classics together the port needed to connect a remote MNGP is taken up for the follow me network.  This is not using classic lights.
Michele

OK, I see now.  No Lites and leaving each MNGP on each Classic and getting a fourth MNGP for the house...

What you can do, as of right now anyway, is to pick one of those Classics and make a one or the other switch to
choose which MNGP is connected to that Classic.  The only added benefit this would give you though is to
not have to unplug one cable and plug in another cable to a phone cable extension to that one Classic's
MNGP phone jack.

Or maybe that would be easier....   Just have a male to female extension coming out of the one Classic.
Then, when you're in the power room, have that Classic's MNGP plugged into that short extension cable.
Before you go back in the house, unplug that and plug in the end of the cable coming from the house or
kitchen MNGP into that short extension cable.  That's the only way I can think of at the moment to
do this if you are using all 3 phone jacks of the Classic for existing MNGPs and Follow-Me cables.

Another way to actually have 4 MNGPs connected to the system would be to have another Classic
that has the sole purpose to split up the network so you could have one of its jacks plugged
into one of your 3 operating Classics MNGP jack and then a power room MNGP addressed to
the one of 3 Classics that you have connected instead to this non-operating Classic and
then the kitchen/house MNGP plugged into the other jack of the non-operating Classic.
This way, the non-operating Classic could act as a network "tap".  I haven't tried
this exact exercise but it should work.  Maybe I should try this next week ?
Now you have got me curious...

Then again, I suppose there could be a fairly simple network tapping PCB that would
do the same kind of thing except not have to waste an entire Classic just for that
purpose that could be somewhat less expensive.

Almost anything is possible.  Just depends on how much work and thought and
time needs to be done.  Unfortunately, Work, thought and time = money.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Westbranch

What about an A/B/C/D type switch and 3 separate cables to the switch, fourth goes to extra MNGP?

boB

Quote from: Westbranch on March 24, 2013, 12:25:03 AM
What about an A/B/C/D type switch and 3 separate cables to the switch, fourth goes to extra MNGP?

Switches will work fine.   Just not the ultimate fix.  (IMHO)
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Mgallo

Ya, not to crazy about the switches either, might be ok for some of us, but I can't do that for customers who want to keep things simple. Well for what they consider simple anyway.  I am sure one of these days we will find a decent way to do this.