Doubled down on FX's..

Started by TomW, May 20, 2013, 03:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomW

After about 10 years using an Outback FX2524T as a supplement to our grid power we decided to double our capacity to feed loads.

2 FX2524T's 2 Epanels and 2 Classic 150's one for the 1500 watt solar array and one for the 12 foot turbine. and an OB PSX-240 autotransformer:

Installed myself with massive internet help from Ryan and boB at Midnite. Not the most elegant looking system but works and is paid for.

Now we don't have to do the math to see if we can run X, Y and Z together like before.

Still need to neaten up a bit and reconfigure wiring for 240 AC to the house. Our well is on the RE system now. We could easily get by if the grid went away!

Just a share.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

dgd

Looks fairly ordered with the symmetrical E panels, Classics and inverters. No Clipper there  :)
Are those two small boxes lower centre fuses or breakers to the battery bank(s)?

Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

TomW

Quote from: dgd on May 20, 2013, 07:54:51 PM
Looks fairly ordered with the symmetrical E panels, Classics and inverters. No Clipper there  :)
Are those two small boxes lower centre fuses or breakers to the battery bank(s)?

Dgd

Dgd;

Thanks for the comments.
Lower center "box" is a dual terminal block with the cover not installed. The breakers for batteries are not in the photo. The clipper is mounted out of the photo, also.

My wall space is limited in that room because of windows, door and cabinets. It was built as an office for my workshop in the garage and ended up being the most convenient (spelled close to the driveway) spot to put the 1300+ AH of traction batteries..

The RE system grew in place over 10 plus years. That is why there are so many holes in that wall the inverters are mounted to.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Westbranch

Tom, I cant see the RTS wires.  Where did you run them?
And what is that long black thing, above and in the middle, with the green wires?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

TomW

Quote from: Westbranch on May 20, 2013, 08:22:21 PM
Tom, I cant see the RTS wires.  Where did you run them?
And what is that long black thing, above and in the middle, with the green wires?

West;

The temp sensor wires are artfully hidden among the conduits for the solar feeds to the Classic.  8) Only use one for Classics. None installed for the FX's as they only kick into charge mode in rare instances just enough to keep the batteries happy..

The green box is the Outback HUB4 that handles communication with the Mate and inverters.

The Mate is mounted remotely so not visible in the photo. There are wires in the photo that are unused remnants of prior configurations

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

SolarMusher

Quote from: TomW on May 20, 2013, 03:07:05 PM
After about 10 years using an Outback FX2524T as a supplement to our grid power we decided to double our capacity to feed loads.

2 FX2524T's 2 Epanels and 2 Classic 150's one for the 1500 watt solar array and one for the 12 foot turbine. and an OB PSX-240 autotransformer:

Installed myself with massive internet help from Ryan and boB at Midnite. Not the most elegant looking system but works and is paid for.

Now we don't have to do the math to see if we can run X, Y and Z together like before.

Still need to neaten up a bit and reconfigure wiring for 240 AC to the house. Our well is on the RE system now. We could easily get by if the grid went away!

Just a share.

Tom
Hi Tom,
I was wondering if you have had firmware problems when you needed to stack these two, old and new units, also did you stack it in serie/parallel? Did you have any issue with your old mate to set the system?
I'd like to add a new vfx3648 to my old one for a 7.2kw 120/240V output on an old FW500.
A+,
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

TomW

Quote from: SolarMusher on August 08, 2013, 07:43:48 AM
Hi Tom,
I was wondering if you have had firmware problems when you needed to stack these two, old and new units, also did you stack it in serie/parallel? Did you have any issue with your old mate to set the system?
I'd like to add a new vfx3648 to my old one for a 7.2kw 120/240V output on an old FW500.
A+,
Erik

Erik;

I set them up like explained here:

http://pics.ww.com/v/TomW/Renewables/Clipper/Stacking.png.html

Schematic:

So far no firmware issues I know of.

The older FX has been rebuilt with replacement boards twice due to sky sparks and the last time only a year or so ago so I think it is relatively "current" compared to its original commissioning date.

The Mate seems to be doing the job fine. It was swapped out a couple years ago for a factory fresh unit after one of the sky spark incidents just to be sure. It is version 4.1.6 0x244F. Mate2 I believe

I have a herd of MNSPD's in the system now so I hope we avoid the static induced failures now.

It generally runs on the Master providing all loads 120 and 240 VAC and when demand gets above a KW or so the Slave kicks on and supports the load until it goes away for a minute or two. Works great and I am not convinced I actually need the PSX-240 in the system but it probably saves idle power not having to run the Slave all the time. Our submersible 240 VAC pump seems to run fine off one unless other loads are active and put it above a KW.

FYI the older FX is the Master in my configuration.

Good Luck with it.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

SolarMusher

Tom,
I wrote a long answer and the time I clicked post, it was lost  >:( >:( >:(
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

TomW

Quote from: SolarMusher on August 08, 2013, 10:00:55 AM
Tom,
I wrote a long answer and the time I clicked post, it was lost  >:( >:( >:(
Erik

Erik;

No worries. Shtuff happens.

Glad to help any way I can.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

dbcollen

There is no problem stacking old and new outback inverters, it is however prudent to set the newer one as master. I have a 2003 model stacked with a 2009 model.

TomW

Quote from: dbcollen on August 08, 2013, 10:13:57 AM
There is no problem stacking old and new outback inverters, it is however prudent to set the newer one as master. I have a 2003 model stacked with a 2009 model.

DB;

Any particular reason? Or just "seems better"?

I have no clue how to determine firmware version on an FX. Do you know how? Just be nice to know, I guess.

Thanks.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

dbcollen

Outback told me the newer firmware has more features and is more stable. Your rebuilt one will have the newer firmware.

SolarMusher

Hi all,
I was also planning to set the new one as master to save on the old one as slave. I have the old black oval mate and I afraid of the cost of a refreshed unit to Canada, maybe better to buy a new one. Tom, in my message (that you'll never read  :)), I was talking about a storm we had two days ago, a strike hit very close to the lodge and I was sure the system was burned (my wife saw a ball of fire between the cabins!). I ran and switch all components off, MN-SPD were still blinking on every strike! After a while I re-started the system, ME-RC was blank and Classic had rebooted but was still alive, when I switched the system and loads on, the Magnum was still working!
I had already burned two VFX in the same conditions with delta LA 3 days ago.
Erik

SolarMusher

Quote from: dbcollen on August 08, 2013, 10:13:57 AM
Great to know that there are no problems to stack old and new one.
Is there a way to update the old one without shipping it to Outback or do we have to re-board to have the last version?
Thanks
Erik

dbcollen

Outback will send you a complete board set for the VFX for $460, it replaces everything but the transformer. It takes under an hour to do, under 15 minutes after you have done it a few times. Just call tech support and tell them you need a board set.