Rosie and Gyll lifepo4 (Now EG4 with pre-charge resistors)

Started by mahendra, April 20, 2024, 08:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahendra

So based on the subject- 'Rosie and Gyll lifepo4 (Now  EG4 without pre-charge resistors)
Can Rosie safely be started with lifepo4s in this case the GYLL lifepo4 that is without pre-charge resistors?Without blowing herself up like some HF inverters.
Already have the battery on hand ,so in no position to swap.

1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

ClassicCrazy

I never heard of inverters blowing up from being connected to a battery without precharge. What I heard of happening was that the surge from capacitors would shut off the bms on overload when it sensed that. My guess is that it was from a system with one battery and that the bms had a max output and the surge went over that limit( like maybe 100ah which would be 1C of a 100ah battery ) .
I don't know what would happen with the Rosie intial startup from a battery without the precharge, but there are ways to do the precharge manually using resistor of some sort if one needed to do that.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Barry Fields

I have two Aims 6048 inverters. I made a small box with a 100v meter and a 500ohm 10watt resistor. I connect this box (alligator clips green) across the open main switch between the bank and the inverters. Once charged, close Main and disconnect.

I have lead acid (fla), but I just don't like sparks.
20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.

mahendra

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on April 20, 2024, 09:36:34 PMI never heard of inverters blowing up from being connected to a battery without precharge. What I heard of happening was that the surge from capacitors would shut off the bms on overload when it sensed that. My guess is that it was from a system with one battery and that the bms had a max output and the surge went over that limit( like maybe 100ah which would be 1C of a 100ah battery ) .
I don't know what would happen with the Rosie intial startup from a battery without the precharge, but there are ways to do the precharge manually using resistor of some sort if one needed to do that.
Larry

Yea was probably overdoing it with explosions but thanks

Quote from: Barry Fields on April 20, 2024, 10:57:39 PMI have two Aims 6048 inverters. I made a small box with a 100v meter and a 500ohm 10watt resistor. I connect this box (alligator clips green) across the open main switch between the bank and the inverters. Once charged, close Main and disconnect.

I have lead acid (fla), but I just don't like sparks.

Guess it's manual pre-charge guys.I was only avoiding the inevitable.
I don't like the sparks either
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

Barry Fields

It also comes in handy for discharging those BFCs before disconnecting an inverter.
20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.

FNG

I know on the EG4 lifepower4 the older firmware would error out starting a Rosie with only 3 of them, But EG4 released new BMS firmware that starts Rosie flawlessly

mahendra

Well, we sorted it out !

After MN Forum guidance and careful consideration, It's a Rosie with  Barcelona prewired! 

The purchase was just made from NAWs.So they should be having one less in the inventory soon.

I will share pics hopefully soon.

And report on her performance.

mahendra

Quote from: FNG on April 22, 2024, 08:08:18 AMI know on the EG4 lifepower4 the older firmware would error out starting a Rosie with only 3 of them, But EG4 released new BMS firmware that starts Rosie flawlessly

Well, I should have mentioned that those were swapped with JK (Jkong bms) 100-300 BMS Four(4) to be exact because they kept tripping BMS and a non-functioning PC software that could not have even updated the firmware. A special batch of the EG4, they aren't all made the same.BMS was built well but crappy software.

Those do not trip on even Outbacks Radian.

Just wanted to make sure they won't affect the inverter negatively.