News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Distilled water supplies

Started by russ_drinkwater, November 11, 2016, 03:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ_drinkwater

Just curious how yall get your supply of distilled water for those running FLA?
I have got a roof top solar still I have been thinking of hooking up as these rolls can get thirsty!
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

TomW

Russ;

I used filtered [coffee filter] rain water and it seemed fine. I never trusted the store bought jugs of distilled water. Big difference between ruining your steam iron and a ton of batteries.

I read that rain is not actually pure distilled and may have dust [why I filtered] in it. Not roof runoff but left clean buckets out when it rained
So your mileage may vary, do not attempt at home , etc.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

mike90045

I don't  have a good way to store acid rain water through the summer, and be able to keep it fresh, so I  go to the local mom & pop water store and buy DI water.
My NiFe batteries go through about 9 gal monthly.  I bought a TDS meter and it's always <5 or mostly unreadable.

I would not trust the coin-op water machines.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Westbranch

Look for Distilled and De-ionized in the 4 quart/4liter jugs...  double treated
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

grgdgreek

I'm using a pentair reverse osmosis.
model# ro 2600.
I removed the last stage on it and replaced it with a de-ionization cartridge.
been doing this since 2008....
Home:6*135w mitsu.10*175w shuko. 2* cl150.3*D400 turbines.
Rolls18*4v series 5000 545ah*3 .2*Victron 3000 multiplus inv/chg. 24v. Shop:28*185w shuko. Sunny island. Sunnyboy.Rolls 40*s530.48volt.Sunny web box.

russ_drinkwater

The distilled water I get at the moment is about $1.50 for 2 liters.
I can make my own by running rain water through my 20 reflux still!
Bit expensive with the power it uses to heat the water.
I think I might give the rain water and filtering a go as it is starting to storm here the last few days!
The storm water would be high in nitrogen as is most of the rain from electrical storms.
If I leave it stand outside for a day or so the nitrogen will dissipate.
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

TomW

Maybe use a solar still?

Pretty simple and no fuel cost.

Just thought of that.

Could be quite simple like the survival still with a pebble on a sheet of plastic over a reservoir of water or damp earth and  distilled water drips into a container.

Like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_still

Only use a funnel and tubing to collect the distilled water outside the still itself.

Made big enough it could produce pretty pure distilled water.

Just an early first cup of coffee idea.

Tom 
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

russ_drinkwater

I have  2 x fcube solar stills here for emergency filtration of dam water for drinking purposes.
They make 20 liters each (40 liters total) of pure clean water a day in summer so I will give them a burst firstly as the storm rain is
unreliable at the best.