Is there a Follow Me tutorial?

Started by TomW, February 23, 2013, 08:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomW

I just got a second Classic 150 and am not having much luck sorting out Follow Me. First, my documentation was outdated. Second the newer documentation does not cover it well enough for me.

I got the phone cable connected but I am not clear on how to enable it in "tweaks". Options are "off" and numbers from 1 to 255.

Do I give the master the #1 or what?

I guess I need a link to the Follow Me for Dummies documentation.

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

TomW

Additionally, do I need to use 2 cables for 2 Classics?

The wiring diagram claims "The last Classic needs to be connected to the first classic as shown"  Does this hold true for just 2 classics?

I am thoroughly confused. Which, to be honest, is not unusual.

Thanks.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Westbranch

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

TomW

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Westbranch

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

TomW

Just listened to that and I think it cleared up everything but whether the 2nd Classic needs to connect with 2 cables to the first {master} in a 2 classic network like it says for 4 in the written instructions?

I wish my search skills were better or something.

I literally searched a couple hours off and on for info.

Big thanks. That was the best info I have seen so far.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

SolarWind

Yep you need two cables. For some reason I missed that as well although it is obvious in the diagram.

TomW

Figures. Probably 90# of misc. cables around here but not another phone cable that is long enough.

;D

Thanks.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

boB

Quote from: TomW on February 23, 2013, 11:22:45 PM
Figures. Probably 90# of misc. cables around here but not another phone cable that is long enough.

;D

Thanks.

Tom

Yeah, sorry that you need that 2nd cable to wrap from end to end.

Make sure to make the Follow-Me number in the Tweaks equal to at least 4.
Twice the number of Classics.   Or 5 is OK too.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Halfcrazy

I am going to do 2 short videos this coming week on Follow-ME. One on wiring and one on programming.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

TomW

Well, I dug up another cable. Got it all connected.

2 Classics both giving me a blue blinking LED.

I set up the one I consider the "Master" for Follow Me "5", enabled the BTS.

I am unclear what I should set the "slave" Follow Me to?

I have tried 5, 6 and 11. I get an unused address trying to scroll the classsics on the MNGP of the "master". I have tried every combination I can think of with no joy. I want to use the temp sensor on the master Classic for both.

I think the cables are right and the network is active but I am jammed up on the settings for #2 Classic? Maybe I am overthinking something here?

Do I need to power cycle them for it to take?

Any info appreciated.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Halfcrazy

The number in Tweaks under follow me is an enable number all it does is tell the classic it is in follow me and also tells it how many trips around the loop to ignore changes after a change. This is usually set for 2 times the number of Classics on the system or 5 as a minimum.

The addressing of the displays and classic will be a separate process.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

TomW

Ryan;

Thanks for the heads up and the video!

I think I had a bit of a revelation while making some coffee.

There is no "master" with multiple Classic 150s? The "lite" programming with the lone MNGP made me think one was "master".

They all listen to each other and the first one to hit a setpoint tells the others "its time to do X"?

I think you mentioned that in the video but it didn't hit me til I listened to it the 3rd time making coffee "revelation".  :o

Does any of this track reality?

Thanks.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

TomW

OK, I think I got it. Not sure if it is "right" but it is communicating and both Classics do whatever I tell either one of them to do.

Now I gotta find an excuse to go to town other than a couple long phone cables.  :o

Living in the sticks is great but parts runs can get in the way of the fun.

Thanks to all.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

TomW

This is just a quickie to get you started. I only got it set up this morning the first time so certainly not very experienced with it. It is simple but I got confused. Maybe this will help someone.

My "Follow Me" setup for 2 classic 150's in a nutshell as the saying goes..

You need 2 common modular phone cables with ends installed. Long enough to comfortably reach between the Classics and route neatly.

Plug them in from in on one to out on the other it is marked on the board next to the row of 3 phone jacks on the Classic main board. That ends up being middle to lower jack on both cables. That is 2 cables between the 2 Classics.

On both Classics: Go into the main menu >>tweaks>>more 4>>Follow Me. Set the Follow me option to 5 or more for 2 classics. Enable the BTS Net on the classics  Connect the temperature sensor you want to use to one of the Classics.

On one of the 2 Classics Only: Press left arrow key and up arrow key once to change the address from the default of 10 to 11. Press left & right arrow keys simultaneously to save the address.

The Classics should be talking to one another now.

If you have the LED mode (Menu>>misc>>LED) set to 1 the blue LED inside the top of the Classic will flash every second or so when they exchange data.

Blue LED will have 2 states. Fast blink showing good comms (1/10 of a second), Long blink showing no comms (1/2-3/4 second)

Now, when you tell one Classic to do something or it reaches an automatic stage the others will follow the first one to sense the need to change modes.

You need to set all the float, absorb and EQ settings the same on both Classics for it to work correctly.

Probably good to adjust both of the Classics battery volts to match the actual voltage and each other with the offset menu.

Hope this helps. All written away from the equipment from memory so feel free to critique it!

Thanks to those who pointed out the info and answered my questions. They made it possible.

Tom

Edit: Clarified the BTS NET and Blue LED parts per info from Ryan

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)