Equalizing time setting

Started by dapago, October 30, 2016, 03:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dapago

Hello. Someone here can tell me how to set the maintenance  eq  time on the Classic? on the eq menu i can't work out how to set the timer. Days are at 30, retry at 3 and time At 1 hour.
How long should the eq time set with Trojan T105RE Smart Carbon?
Thanks.
Off-grid. Midnight Classic 200. 2,480W array wired (8x310W/2P, 4S) .Magnum Inverter MS4448PAE. 8*225Ah @48V Trojan T105RE Smart Carbon. MN bkrs box.

Vic

Hello dapago,

So,  you have looked at page 31 in the 2056 Version of the Classic Manual?

What Firmware version is your Classic using?

Personally,  I do not believe in Auto EQs,   so have never used this function.

A side note;
Thanks for doing a Signature line for this Forum.   One thing,  though.   Would bet that your battery is probably NOT 1800 Ah.  That battery would weigh about 5500 pounds (in USA Units).

Batteries in series the Ah Capacity remains the same for a single string of identical batteries,  but the voltage is multiplied by the number of batteries.   For parallel strings,  the voltage remains the same,  but the Ah Capacity IS multiplied by the number of strings of identical batteries.

Will look at the manual a bit more,  in  a  while to learn more about Auto EQ.

What will be your EQ voltage?

Vic

Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

dapago

Hello Vic.
Manual tells how to set days and retry for auto eq but nothing about setting time (or I missed it).
About the firmware where should I look?
The eq voltaje is 64.8v (high yes for the Smart Carbon Trojan) and how long should be the eq time set for?
Why shouldn't  you believe in the auto eq function? Any issue with it?

Sorry for the signature error.
Off-grid. Midnight Classic 200. 2,480W array wired (8x310W/2P, 4S) .Magnum Inverter MS4448PAE. 8*225Ah @48V Trojan T105RE Smart Carbon. MN bkrs box.

Vic

Hi dapago,

Yea,  just re-read the info on page 31 of the Manual.   Had thought that you could set the time in the Auto EQ menus.

SO,  then,  why not try;  Charge>Time,  and set the length of the EQ you wish to use.  It may use the same time setting for Manual,  and Auto EQ.

To me,  an EQ should be actively monitored.   One can watch the change in EQ current via the WbJr (if one has one),  measure SGs,  etc.   When the SG stops rising in the lowese SG cells,  generally,  the EQ has done almost all of its job.   Then one would continue the EQ for another 30,  or so minutes,  is the general guidance.  Trojan may have somewhat different advice.

Think that this was mentioned elsewhere,  but,  IMO,  the Classic should be set to Temperature Compensate the EQ voltage,  in the  Temp Comp menu.

The version of the Classic FW is found by pressing the Status button about six or seven,  or perhaps eight times.  On that page will be the Classic,  MNGP and Network FW version numbers ...  for Classics with MNGPs.

The Local App, also has the ability  to show these FW version numbers for Classic,  and Network,  on the version of the App that I use.

OK on the EQ voltage,  thanks.

And the Sig battery Capacity was not really an error,  just a  little oversight.  This is done fairly commonly for those who are new to battery systems.

Will go back and re-re-read the Manual page 31,  looking for info on setting EQ Time.

Thanks,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

dapago

Thanks Vic. Rev fw is 2096.
I don't have web jr but the MidNite batt monitor instead. Trojan data sheet does not mention about maintenance  eq time at all and haven't seen mentioned neither eq frequency. Odd.....

TomW

Quote from: Vic on October 30, 2016, 03:58:51 PM
Hello dapago,

A side note;
Thanks for doing a Signature line for this Forum.   One thing,  though.   Would bet that your battery is probably NOT 1800 Ah.  That battery would weigh about 5500 pounds (in USA Units).

Batteries in series the Ah Capacity remains the same for a single string of identical batteries,  but the voltage is multiplied by the number of batteries.   For parallel strings,  the voltage remains the same,  but the Ah Capacity IS multiplied by the number of strings of identical batteries.

So, indeed,  8] 6V 225 AH batteries in series would be 225 AH @48 volts. Still a relatively respectable bit of storage and probably only about 550 pounds or so.

1800 AH @48 volts would be an awesome bank and makes me envious just thinking about it!

The series / parallel battery stuff can be a brain bender until you get it burned into your synapses.

Tom

Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

dapago

Actually about the batts bank I have some doubts about it's size according to my needed load. After the gross mistake the installer made  with my system (connecting 4s2p with a 150 Classic and wondering why that did not work), I am a bit suspicious now about his bank calculations.
I am still wondering how to set eq time on the classic when in auto mode. I wrote to Trojan to tell me the frequency and time for eq so I should expect an answer soon. Just need to enter the datas inside the classic if someone can teach me how to do it :-). Tomorrow will try Vic method and see if it works.