Midnite races to Hawaii

Started by mike cunningham, August 08, 2016, 12:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike cunningham

Hi all, just finished the Singlehanded Transpac Race from San Francisco to Hanalei Bay, Kauai.

Took me 17 days, 14 hours. On advice from http://www.pbase.com I decided to purchase a high quality US manufactured Controller. I liked the fact the Kid had detailed install and operation instructions and it is built like a tank.

I installed two 100 watt flexible panels in parallel due to shading issues aboard the boat. They system routinely delivered about 100 watts . Again, shading is a real issue aboard the boat with all sails set and the Pacific rolly polly going on. Having said that the system provided adequate power to keep my 9 year old AGMs (three 105 AH Lifelines) fully charged. I did need to provide engine bulk charge for about an hour in the morning but a problem with sailing vessels is the last 15 to 20 percent of full charge which takes forever using the engine. As you know, AGMs don't like a partial charge so the solar system was ideal for my application.

The boat is now moored in Hawaii awaiting the return trip and the system continues to provide more than adequate power for the reduced consumption at anchor. No autopilot or instruments sucking up the watts.

I was thoroughly impressed with the conroller!!

Halfcrazy

Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Robin

We are happy that everything went ok. Nine year old AGM's may not be very reliable......Sure you want to trust your bilge pumps to that when in the middle of the ocean? I am very impressed that they still hold a charge though.
What type are they and how have you kept them charged for the past 9 years? You have some great batteries. I want some!
Good thing you have some other batteries also.
Robin Gudgel

CDN-VT

Are you looking in the mode of solar or P&O , plus I changed my sweep timing for the shade & Pacific rolly polly going on.

I'll need to look again at all the menus , I just came off the Classics , pretty sure since I changed my SB & elly (golf cart)

Might make a bit more ??
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels