Interstate UL16 charging recommendations

Started by techvt, August 16, 2015, 10:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

techvt

I've got two new UL16s in series and cant seem to locate proper absorb, float and EQ settings. They are hooked to the Kid and have a single 260w panel attached. Im not sure manufacturers recommendations are valid for RE use. http://www.batteries-faq.com/activekb/questions.php?questionid=1 Anyone have recommendations for these?

SolarMusher

For 48v system: 58.8Vabs, 52.4/52.8Vfloat. That's the best I've found to work on mine (+7 years).
A+
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

techvt

So for my 12v set up I can just divide those by four?

SolarMusher

Exactly, 14.7V/13.2V with temp compensated.
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

techvt

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for. Last question is what should the LVD be set to?  Don't want to draw the batteries down to much but would like to sustain about a 4 amp load overnight if it's safe.

vtmaps

Quote from: techvt on August 17, 2015, 09:05:31 PM
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for. Last question is what should the LVD be set to?  Don't want to draw the batteries down to much but would like to sustain about a 4 amp load overnight if it's safe.

That depends on how low you are willing to go on a cycle.  A 4 amp load on those batteries will not cause much voltage sag... so the actual voltage you measure under a steady 4 amp load is near resting voltage.  I have my LVD set to my battery nominal voltage (24.0 in my system, 12.0 in your system).  Battery nominal voltage is approx 50% SOC. 

My daily operating goal is to not dip below 70% SOC.  The LVD protects my battery from accidents of two kinds: inadvertent loads (i.e. water leak causes pump to run all night), and lack of charging (i.e. controller shut down because of ground fault).

A problem that may crop up is voltage sag under load.  When you start drawing more than 4 amps you will notice voltage sag, and when you turn off the large load, the voltage will rebound.  For example, it's morning and your voltage under minimal load is 12.2.   When you turn on the blender the voltage sags to 11.9 and your inverter shuts off.  Then the voltage rebounds back up to 12.2.

--vtMaps