Up Grading Lightning Arrestors

Started by Firefly, April 20, 2013, 11:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firefly

Upgrading my arrestors to Midnite SPD's, my system very straight forward. Now my neighbour has asked me, to do his at the same time. This I require some help with. He has the Outback Flexware 500, two inverters and two charge controllers and three Midnite Solar combiner boxes. As I watched the installation video of the SPD's, AC input and AC out put and combiners look straight forward, but it is the charge controllers, I am having trouble figuring out. Since in the Outback DC disconnect box there is no Positve BBUS bar, would I have to do some kind of tap, on the input side of the breakers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Steven M
2007 Install. E-Panel, VFX2812, MX60 Configured to 70, Mate, Hub, PSX240, TriMetric 2020, MNPV6 Combiner, 3000 watt Generator, 3-4 volt 1104 amp hr Surrette batteries, 800 watt solar array.

boB

When you say there is no BBUS bar, do you mean battery or PV ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Firefly

This Outback DC disconnect box, has three shunts with busbars attached to two of them (2-FM80), for all negative connections and one busbar for grounds. The PV+ goes directly from combiner box to a 80 amp breaker, then to the charge controller. Then from charge controller battery + to 80 amp breaker to BBusbar attached to main breakers.

A ground wire runs between ground bussbar and negative bussbar, per Outback wiring diagram.

Would I attach the positive + directly to the BBusbar that is attached to the main breakers? Also would I require a SPD for both charge controllers?

Sorry, don't always explain my thoughts very well.

Steven M
2007 Install. E-Panel, VFX2812, MX60 Configured to 70, Mate, Hub, PSX240, TriMetric 2020, MNPV6 Combiner, 3000 watt Generator, 3-4 volt 1104 amp hr Surrette batteries, 800 watt solar array.