classic 150 ocp issue

Started by ripvansparky, July 07, 2013, 12:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boB

Quote from: RossW on July 07, 2013, 06:48:08 PM
Quote from: boB on July 07, 2013, 06:13:48 PM
129 Volts Voc should not cause the Classic to just sit there and not wake up, but I suppose this
is worth a try.

It should be good up to 150 volts input, but that RFR on the secret status screen may help
narrow this down.  (I hope)

I regularly see mine at 130Voc and saw 134.8Voc yesterday.
(operating voltage is usually around 105 but occasionally up to 129V)

yes, but you don't use a 12V battery on that one do you ?

The Classic can take up to 150 Voc and should be fine even with 12V battery.

But, if a large array is connected, it may do some OCP'ing but should still be able
to charge the batteries and not keep OCP'ing.  The Classic will just go slower to
try and reduce the OCPs.   But if something else is wrong, then anything can
happen I suppose.

If it has to come back, then we will find out what is going on and may be able to
help others if they are having similar problems.
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ripvansparky

yes i have returned everything back to the way it was and checked all the connections and polarity and voltages, etc. when i get back i will check the secret status screen. The voltage doesn't dip at all in Legacy mode. I think that i will rewire the string to a lower voltage once i get the cc back on line. it also doesnt ocp in legacy, just doesnt wake up.

Photowhit

I wonder how your derating works? Perhaps this CC is outside and the natural heat and the heat of running such a high conversion rate is derating it to a point where over current protection is kicking in?
Home system 20 - 200watt Evergreen, E-Panel, 2-Classic Lite 150s up and running and 14 Suntech 185watt panels, and another Classic Lite in a dark room. Cabin system 8-115watt 12V, 6 - 170-5watt 24v, Pulse/Trace PC250 Power Center, 800AH 24V forklift Batt, ProSine 1800 watt (24v) inverter.

dgd

Quote from: ripvansparky on July 07, 2013, 08:44:40 PM
yes i have returned everything back to the way it was and checked all the connections and polarity and voltages, etc. when i get back i will check the secret status screen. The voltage doesn't dip at all in Legacy mode. I think that i will rewire the string to a lower voltage once i get the cc back on line. it also doesnt ocp in legacy, just doesnt wake up.

When you disconnect all the solar panels at the Classic by removing both input wires + and - and power off/on the Classic does the OCP message go away in solar mode?

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

boB

Quote from: Photowhit on July 07, 2013, 09:33:21 PM
I wonder how your derating works? Perhaps this CC is outside and the natural heat and the heat of running such a high conversion rate is derating it to a point where over current protection is kicking in?

The display will tell you when it is HOT enough not to run but if it is not waking up at all, then it
isn't getting too hot so I don't think that's it.

Would like to see the RFR number in the secret screen.

The RFR can tell you why it did not wake up too but usually only tells you why it went to Resting AFTER it
woke up and ran at least some.

I think we will ad a RFNWU  (Reason For Not Waking Up)  number as well.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ripvansparky

Just got back and checked the rfr number, it is 4. Yes, it still is in ocp even when completely disconnected.

boB

Quote from: ripvansparky on July 08, 2013, 02:06:21 AM
Just got back and checked the rfr number, it is 4. Yes, it still is in ocp even when completely disconnected.

Hmmm....   RFR #4  means that the input voltage is less than battery voltage.

We'll have to check more into this tomorrow.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ripvansparky

shut the power off after checking it last night, then back on. sun just came up, voltage is 117.5 and dips to 117.4 every few seconds in Legacy mode. i did see ocp flash very quickly twice but generally stays resting. checked the rfr #, it is now 33. switched back to solar mode, the voltage stays the same and it flashes back and forth ocp/resting.

TomW

rip;

Are you relying on the display for the voltage readings?

Might I suggest you get out your trusty voltmeter, pull the cover off and measure them at the terminal block on the Classic? Are you absolutely sure the battery and PV are connected properly?

Something strange going on here so the possibility of miswiring is there except you said it "worked" before?

Now I will back off and let the pros sort this out rather than cloud the waters.

Best of luck with it.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

ripvansparky

yeah, most of the time. I have checked the terminals with a dmm and it is the same. going to give them a call in a couple minutes and probably just send it in

Halfcrazy

I would call in tomorrow and chat with Mat or Ryan we probably need to get it back and take a look at it for you.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

boB

Quote from: Halfcrazy on July 08, 2013, 07:54:49 PM
I would call in tomorrow and chat with Mat or Ryan we probably need to get it back and take a look at it for you.

Ryan

yes, it sounds like we will need to get it back.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ripvansparky

Cool, got a RMA this morning from matt, be sending it weds morning

boB

Quote from: ripvansparky on July 08, 2013, 09:37:34 PM
Cool, got a RMA this morning from matt, be sending it weds morning

Excellent !  Can't wait to see what is causing this.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ripvansparky

Well, just managed to get to town during business hours to send it out today. At time of last post (3 weeks ago) had purchased another new 150 to replace it with, it has been working great with 3 strings of two panels. I have decided that it is best to have redundancy with solar, especially out in the boonies :) and that dumb outback inverter mate that screwed up shortly out of the box, the inverter does ok most of the time without it. jeez. Life just isn't the same when you're not connected to a bunch of power stations! Gotta give props to that little Honda eu3000is generator, that thing is racking up the hours without a complaint, quiet and fuel efficient too! Guess it's worth the premium price after all. OK thanks guys!