classic on wind

Started by mahendra, August 10, 2013, 03:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomW

Quote from: Halfcrazy on August 18, 2013, 12:06:51 PM
I should point out the Clippers Chris has smoked where not MidNite clippers. Although with the wind farm he has going he could probably test the ability of our clipper :)

I did not know that tidbit.

I guess I see "Clipper" and assumed the Midnite version. Maybe it needs a [tm]  :o . Yep, I know what assume does to u and me.  ;D

Tom

Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

ChrisOlson

Yeah, sorry about that.  My clippers are homemade units with delta wired water heater elements.  I got an oil cooled one that I haven't burnt yet.  But with the setup I got now, using the clipper to gently brake the turbine and stall the airfoils to shut it down, they don't get hot anymore.  I mean, it warms up when the AUX1 port activates, and while its braking the turbine to stop it.  But it can usually stop the turbine within about 30 seconds even in really high wind.  So I think I have that problem solved.

My problem before was using AUX2 with AC SSR and trying to regulate the voltage at the charge stage set point with it.  That fed continuous power into the clipper and if the battery didn't need any of it, all of it goes to the clipper.  In 30 mph wind, shoving 3+ kW into the clipper gets it REALLY hot.  And I mean really, REALLY, REALLY hot.  It's a 3 kW heater being fed by a big turbine.  You have to figure out how to get rid of that heat if you're going to do that.
--
Chris

boB

Quote from: ChrisOlson on August 18, 2013, 01:51:04 PM
  And I mean really, REALLY, REALLY hot.  It's a 3 kW heater being fed by a big turbine.  You have to figure out how to get rid of that heat if you're going to do that.
--
Chris

Give it a nice fan blowing on it...  And powered  by the wind if possible.

Too bad it can't just go up on the tower and have the wind to that itself.

I suppose you could also run a water pipe up the tower with heat sink fins on it.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ChrisOlson

Yeah, I tried an elaborate scheme once for heating water with the clipper.  That worked about as good as hunting ducks with a rake.  It don't happen enough to justify the expense in the stuff you need to get any hot water from it.

The best option I've found is to not use the clipper unless absolutely necessary, and shut the turbine down when it's not needed. 
--
Chris

mahendra

dude you sound like you have a  mini wind testing facility only with the real world stuff for testing.do you design your own turbines too?
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

ChrisOlson

Quote from: mahendra on August 23, 2013, 08:11:01 AM
dude you sound like you have a  mini wind testing facility only with the real world stuff for testing.do you design your own turbines too?

Yes.   http://dairylandwindpower.us/
--
Chris