How about a MPPT differential controller for SHW?

Started by Mr. Underfoot, April 07, 2013, 11:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Underfoot

Current state-of-the-art differential controllers for solar hot water are rather binary affairs.  Wouldn't it be possible to combine delta-T sensing with circulator pump motor speed control to adjust water flow through the collector to maintain setpoint delta-T?

In my opinion, this would optimize gain from the system without using restriction valves to set maximum flow rates (you lose on bright days) or off when any "on" flow chills collector array below setpoint (you lose on hazy days). In effect, this would be maximum power point transfer for SHW.

RossW

Not disputing the idea - I've thought about it often, and long... but short of actually DOING it, am unsure the outcome is actually beneficial.

The greater the deltaT between the collector and the "cold" input water, the more efficiently you can make use of the solar energy. However a large quantity of "warm" water may not be sufficient if you need "hot" water. Given you can mix a smaller amount of "hot" water with "cold" water to make warm, the maximum efficiency may be to keep the water in the collector as cold as possible. Or, to bring in the coldest water you can until it's "hot enough" to be useful, then dump that into the tank and get a fresh batch of "cold".

I originally intended running my pump with variable flow as you describe, but the simplicity of a "variable duty-cycle batch heater" over-ruled, and has been running for several years now, very well...
3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine