Unable to connect to classic using local app even over loacal network

Started by offgridQLD, April 19, 2013, 07:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

offgridQLD

I did a clean reinstall of the local App on my laptop now I cant even connect with my classic over the local home network.

I have had it working like a champ for monthsover the local home network and even working fine monitoring remotely online. Now I would be happy even if I could just get it to work over the local network.

I have  classic  set on static ip  10.0.0.10 and I can see the classic on my network by y logging into my modem and its showing the some ip on the classic LCD. I also double checked the ip using the Fing program and its also showing the classic online on my local network at 10.0.0.10 and port 502.

So I open the local App enter 10.0.0.10 and and it comes up with (connecting) then (retrying) and (unknown) above the IP address .

So I have gone back to basics and I am just trying to get the local app to at least work over the local home network but I am struggling with that at the moment for some reason.

Is there any more to the picture something silly I am overlooking as i can see it on my network but just cant connect with it through the local app?

I am seeing error 2002 coming up even on a fresh install.

Kurt
Off grid system: 48v 16x400ah Calb lithium, Pv array one  NE facing  24 x 165w 3960w, Array two NW facing 21 x 200w 4200w total PV 8200w. Two x Classic 150,  Selectronic PS1 6000w inverter charger, Kubota J108 8kw diesel generator.

dgd

Quote from: offgridQLD on April 19, 2013, 07:25:29 AM
I have  classic  set on static ip  10.0.0.10 and I can see the classic on my network by y logging into my modem and its showing the some ip on the classic LCD. I also double checked the ip using the Fing program and its also showing the classic online on my local network at 10.0.0.10 and port 502.

Local networks should be on a 192.168.x.x network, internal routers, wifi routers and most other devices not assigned specific ip numbers or class c networks or subsets of them by your ISP will expect to use a 192.168.x.x network.

So I open the local App enter 10.0.0.10 and and it comes up with (connecting) then (retrying) and (unknown) above the IP address .

The wifi router or LAN router you have will be trying to route this connection to the Internet where the real 10.x.x.x class A network is

So I have gone back to basics and I am just trying to get the local app to at least work over the local home network but I am struggling with that at the moment for some reason.

Is there any more to the picture something silly I am overlooking as i can see it on my network but just cant connect with it through the local app?

Look on your router and see what network it is using for LAN routing. It's probably something like 192.168.1.1, so try setting your classic to 192.168.1.80 static address, netmask 255.255.255.0

I am seeing error 2002 coming up even on a fresh install.

#2002 is back again, make sure you have the latest adobe Air version although even this makes many #2002 error messages

Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

TomW

dgd;

Sorry, you are dead wrong. 10.x.x.x is a legit private IP according to RFC 1918. See this for the others:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

Just for clarity and accuracy.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Halfcrazy

Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

dgd

Quote from: TomW on April 19, 2013, 08:42:17 AM
dgd;

Sorry, you are dead wrong. 10.x.x.x is a legit private IP according to RFC 1918.

You are right, I'm usually wrong.
Strange how routers here go to the local ISPs dns server to resolve this address, I was thinking that unless Kurt had used a 10.x.x.x on his LAN from the router to all his devices then it would not work mixing a 10 with 192 network.
But he probably has it set correct and I got it wrong  :-\
Oh we'll back to the amber nectar...

Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

offgridQLD

I will start of by saying thanks for all the responses :) I woke up this morning and opened the( local App and it connected straight away to 10.0.0.10. SO I guess the classic auto reset overnight.

The way my network is set up is a little complex (sounds complex but is reasonably simple)

I have our main modem/router at one end of the. A 4 port wifi router located in the centre of the house connected via a lan cable to the main modem/router. The 2nd wifi / router is also a lan over power line device . I then have the receiver for the lan over power line plunged into a power outlet near the classic and a lan cable from the receiver to the classic  :o

All my local devices, laptop, i phone, I pad, desktop pc, have all been handed out a ip from 10.0.0.0 up to 10.0.0.13 at the moment.Although using (Fling) my main router is showing up as 10.0.0.137.

Kurt

Off grid system: 48v 16x400ah Calb lithium, Pv array one  NE facing  24 x 165w 3960w, Array two NW facing 21 x 200w 4200w total PV 8200w. Two x Classic 150,  Selectronic PS1 6000w inverter charger, Kubota J108 8kw diesel generator.

offgridQLD

Just a update on the 2nd issue not being able to connect to classic through local App over the internet.

I have it working now :)

Turns out it that my DNS software built into my Technicolor Gateway Router wasn't doing its job properly in updating the IP addresses to my Dyn host.

I gave up on using the routers in build DNS software and downloaded an update client program for my pc from Dyn and it did the trick local App connected over the net first time.

Kurt

jimbo

Can you elaborate on how you fixed this as i'm having the same problem.  Worked for a few days and now can't connect!!

RossW

Quote from: dgd on April 19, 2013, 07:48:31 AM
Quote from: offgridQLD on April 19, 2013, 07:25:29 AM

Local networks should be on a 192.168.x.x network, internal routers, wifi routers and most other devices not assigned specific ip numbers or class c networks or subsets of them by your ISP will expect to use a 192.168.x.x network.

"classful" routing died years and years ago. 192.168.x.x networks are no less valid than 10.x.x.x networks, and a great many consumer devices ship with 10.x.x.x addresses by default.

The wifi router or LAN router you have will be trying to route this connection to the Internet where the real 10.x.x.x class A network is

He hasn't said what his computers network is (or if he did I missed it). His router would only be sending it outside if (a) his local subnet wasn't the same 10.x.x.y and (b) he didn't have a static route. (Granted, that seems unlikely for the average punter, but it's entirely valid and works perfectly well)

3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine

A1Topgun

Just installed a new Classic 200.  A small emergerncy back-up system for when the grid goes down.  Four Evergreen 210W panels (2 x 2), to the Classic, to six Exide GC batteries (3 sets of 2), to a 1500W pure sine wave inverter.   Everything seems to be working well.  Except . . . .

Local App 0.3.27 does not connect to the Classic.  Local App. Panel is blank.  Classic picked up a valid LAN IP from the DHCP table and is shown on the Classic panel, and the router shows “Classic” in the client table.  I am able to ping the classic address. 

Any ideas?
If your not the Lead Dog, the scenery never changes!

Halfcrazy

You may try rebooting the Classic and see if it comes back

Ryan

A1Topgun

I can't find “reboot” in the User's Manual.  Do you mean to turn off the solar panels and then the batteries, then turn on the battery bank and then the solar panels?  Did that, no joy. 

Or do you mean a system reset to factory default with the left-right buttons held down during a power up?

zoneblue

Theres a certain way you have to hold your mouth to get the ethernet working  on the classic.

First make sure you have the latest stable firmware. The latest adobe air, the latest local app.
Reboot, means unpower and repower the classic, maybe 10 seconds off ought to do it. After a firmware upgrade you also need to "VMM" which is a factory reset.

Second, make sure you use a short cable from the classic to the next network device. Long cables are a source of noise.

Third, i suggest using a static ip. The less you ask the classic to do the better, its only a tiny processsor, and needs its attention on your batterys.

Most people find that doing all that results in a stable connection.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

A1Topgun

:-\
Now I am even more confused, if that is possible.  Checked firmware version on Classic = 1470.  Latest Beta is 1401?  tried to update any way to see what would happen and can't get USB connection to work, drivers not installed per Device Manager, Win XP Pro.  Device Manager shows Bootloder ver. 1.06 for USB with question mark.

Halfcrazy

If you are using Windows XP you will need to install the drivers and set the com port of the PC to Com8. There is a pretty decent document on doing this on XP here: http://www.midnitesolar.com/firmware/Firmware_Install_WindowsXP.pdf