Network cable length from classic to 4 port switch

Started by offgridQLD, November 01, 2014, 05:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atop8918

This rebooting and locking issue seems very related to networks. Some folks have improved since the last update, others have gotten worse. Across the board it seems to have gotten better, I'm sorry that it is worse for you, Zoneblue. Can you let me know your network topology as well as router model and I can try to replicate it in the lab? You can PM me if you don't want to make it public.

Thanks!
-Andrew

dgd

Quote from: atop8918 on November 14, 2014, 01:47:55 PM
This rebooting and locking issue seems very related to networks. Some folks have improved since the last update, others have gotten worse. Across the board it seems to have gotten better....

I would tend to agree with this.
I have never had a Classic reboot since installing the latest firmware 6 months ago.
However I made efforts to keep the ethernet wiring to Classics very short, two are on 0.5metre cable and one on 0.8 metre cable to a powered 5port hub (not switch) and the hub connects 0.5metre cable to WET54G wireless bridge.
I can connect one Classic using a 12 metre ethernet cable to my main wireless router and sure as day follows night the Classic will eventually crash.

This leads me to believe the ethernet code in the Classic (and maybe hardware interface)
is just not that robust in that its error tolerance is low causing it to panic and reboot the Classic. Just my opinion  :)

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

zoneblue

Its not a major grief, mostly just the SOC irregularities, however i will probably just craft a blackbox SOC datapoint. I no longer get network lockups, just the reboots.

((|)) Laptops
       0.3m                       10m            |
CL150L----->TP-LINK TL-SF1005D<--------->Draytek Vigor 2700ge<----- DSL
                     |                           |
Blackbox<------------+              Desktop<-----+   

Note that blackbox is doing 1s samples. I figure if the networking can handle blackbox it can handle anything.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar