When is a Classic new?

Started by dgd, June 30, 2014, 10:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

I was just looking at buying a Classic 250 that was described as new.
The box was open and everything was there and the Classic had never been used.
The Classic was manufactured, according to its label, in Q3 2011.
So the question is can this three year old shelf stock still be sold as new at the new price?
What is Midnites view on this situation.

Incidentally, the original end customer complained and sent it back saying he was not going to accept such an old item being sold as new.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

tecnodave

dgd,

I'm not going to comment on Midnite's position on this but here in the States old stock will give you leverage on price as it's time to move it out and get fresh stock. I just bought 1020 watts p.v. old stock for a discounted price. Very good brand but not this years model. I paid a bit more than half price for this size and type of panel. They also have MC-3 connectors which are not legal here in new installations. It probably has a lot to do with how plentiful that item is in your geographic location. I live in a hot bed of solar activity and deals can be found here. Strangely enough my local MidNite dealer is a 1000 miles away in another state but there are many solar manufacturers here.

I am curious where you get LiFePo4 batteries in NZ, shipping must be a major item , but you are much closer to China where I assume that they come from. The best I have found here in the States is about $1 USD per a.h. per cell. These are CALB CA cells from China, f.o.b. Fremont , CA. just across Silicon Valley from me.

td
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

TomW

I DO NOT represent Midnite.

Having said that, I will say that in my world that would still technically be "new" but the open box raises a flag. I  sold on Feebay for years and that unit would have been listed as new old stock "NOS", opened original packaging by me. For a retailer to sell it as "new" at the current price is the retailer being dishonest.  My opinion, of course. At 3 years old it is a bit crooked to sell at the current price. They were likely cheaper back then?? Not certain if the hardware is different but 3 years is a long time in electronics technology. It probably is fine as storage does not affect electronics much in that time period.

Anyway, I would refuse to do business with that retailer myself on principal.

Just my opinions, of course.

Tom

Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies