32v marine installation

Started by greblos, May 19, 2021, 11:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greblos

I'm interested to learn if any of the charge controllers, particularly the Classic can be configured for a 32v nominal (16s2p) flooded lead acid battery bank.  My friend has a yacht with a 32v DC electrical system which seems to be a thing on 50+ foot yachts designed mid-century.  Most of the high current DC loads are 32v, like the windlass, pumps, and starters for the main engines.  The main engines each have a 32v alternator.  His recent AC inverter/shore power charge unit is also 32v, so I think it makes sense to stick with the 32v system, given the investment sunk in equipment already.

boB

Hi greblos...

Yes, it certainly can.

You should be able to choose one of these nominal battery voltages when starting from scratch or forcing the Classic's remote into defaults...

12, 24, 36, 48, 60, 72  volts.   For 32 volts, just choose 36 volts.  It may automatically find it at 24V or 36V.  If it finds 24V just press the UP arrow and choose 36 volts.

The Absorb and Float default voltages will be slightly high for 32V.  Just go into the charger menu and adjust them to the desired voltages.

The battery temperature compensation amount will still be at ever so slightly high.  You can go into the TEMP sub menu for the CHARGE menu and adjust that from -5mV  to say, -3mV per degree C.  I think that would be correct ?  Or you could just leave it as -5mV  unless your batteries are going to get real hot or real cold.

Hope that helps a bit.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

greblos

Thanks boB, that was super helpful!