Setting End Amps With 2 Classics?

Started by Vic, March 26, 2012, 12:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic

OK,  did ask this Q before,  but no joy ..  so here goes again:

Am running two Classic 150s,  each with its own array.

As this system has widly varying loads,  and,  thus, has widly varying ideal Asorb times.  normally would use End Amps (Return Amps)  to terminate Asorb when using a single CC.

First,  so,  using one Classic,  one should set a Max Asorb time to some longish value,  and set the Min time to 000,  and the desired End Amp value,  the result being the Classic would terminate Asorb either with either Max Asorb time or End Amps,  which ever occurred first?

SECONDLY,  until the Classic FW supports Master/Slave (or whaterer is it called),  just how should one attempt to have the two CCs terminate using End Amps?

(Have tried searching this Forum using ' End Amps ',  got  hits,  but could not find the search argument in the returned posts.   Also tried Googling this Forum with same term,  but no posts came up).  TIA,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

Quote from: Vic on March 26, 2012, 12:56:43 PM
OK,  did ask this Q before,  but no joy ..  so here goes again:

Am running two Classic 150s,  each with its own array.

As this system has widly varying loads,  and,  thus, has widly varying ideal Asorb times.  normally would use End Amps (Return Amps)  to terminate Asorb when using a single CC.

First,  so,  using one Classic,  one should set a Max Asorb time to some longish value,  and set the Min time to 000,  and the desired End Amp value,  the result being the Classic would terminate Asorb either with either Max Asorb time or End Amps,  which ever occurred first?

Yes

Quote from: Vic on March 26, 2012, 12:56:43 PM

SECONDLY,  until the Classic FW supports Master/Slave (or whaterer is it called),  just how should one attempt to have the two CCs terminate using End Amps?

(Have tried searching this Forum using ' End Amps ',  got  hits,  but could not find the search argument in the returned posts.   Also tried Googling this Forum with same term,  but no posts came up).  TIA,  Vic

Well, you can adjust both Classics' End Amps setting.   Remember though that End Amps is what
the CLASSIC sees going into the batteries and not necessarily what the batteries see for
amps because of your loads.  But the worst that can happen I suppose is that the max Absorb time
will end the charge rather than the End Amps, so nothing lost.

BTW, calling it "Master/Slave"   is fine but we are calling it "networking" or sometimes
"parallel" here internally.

Have a GREAT day, Vic !
boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

OK  Thanks boB for the rapid reply,  Yes,  generally,  the Inverter loads on this system are small and continuous,  when the site in uninhabited.   The pesky humans add to the load and its variability.   But,  usually,  I am one of those present when the loads increase,  so mostly the contribution to the battery current is just the small internet radio loads,  and at other times,  can monitor charge progress in person.

The manner in which the CCs share the Asorb charge currents is not predictable until they are Networked (thanks for the word). And,  have not been around to monitor the transition from Asorb to Float,  so do not know how this happens.  Have set each CC to the desired EA value plus a few Amps -- presently EA is set to 16 A on each CC.  The real desired value is 13-14 Amps.  Perhaps I should set one CC (the one which usually takes the higher current burden in Asorb) to about 20 A for EA,  and the other for about 15 A and see what happens.  Have no remote monitoring at this point,   and no recording of info other than the Classics.  Looking at the SGs looks like the batts are getting a bit too much charge.

At the risk of derailing my own thread,   would certainly like to get a Battery Monitor.  Know that you folks must be working on one at some level.  Would like to wait for your solution,  as it should interface well to the Classics,  but I'd bet that the wait wil be a year or more ...

Thanks again,  73,   Vic,  K6IC
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

boB

Quote from: Vic on March 26, 2012, 02:24:32 PMWould like to wait for your solution,  as it should interface well to the Classics,  but I'd bet that the wait wil be a year or more ...

Thanks again,  73,   Vic,  K6IC

Man !   I sure hope it  doesn't take a year !   It's not  hard to do...  Just takes time and resources.
We have some good engineers here but just not enough to do everything we need to do in a timely
manner.  Hopefully a monitor will happen sooner than later.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Hi boB,

RE the Bat Monitor,  Will try to wait,  may need to start with something during the wait for the real deal.  Would like to have some basic control function in the monitor to perhaps command the CC go to Float,  so that downstream loads on the inverters would not counted as charge current -- a Net End Amps function.

Have been wondering about a situation where the CC is forced to rest or 'Mode Off' for days until a target battery voltage or AH discharge value is reached.  The CC might be off for days in this situation ...  OH,  have derailed this thread ..  Thanks,  Vic

Vic

RE Setting EA on each CC,  have tried setting one CC to an EA value about 25% above the other.  Have not been able to observe the transition to Float with these settings.

Have now decided to set one CC for a short timed Asorb of about 25 mins,  and the other CC for an EA value that I expect is correct for this system.   Will try this for a few days to see.  The normal Asorb time for this system with light discharge is about 45 mins,  so this "should" do the trick ...  Who knows,  there are so many variables in charging even a given battery bank.  Much seems to depend on just how the bank has been discharged.  Thanks again for the support.   Vic