USB cable for KID

Started by thanasis, September 05, 2014, 01:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thanasis

I am glad to have found this forum.
This my first post.
I just got my KID installed in my RV today. It seems to be working fine.
In preparation for the upcoming FW upgrades I started looking for a USB cable.
The KID's manual indicate that the type USB cable required for firmware upgrades is: Mini-A, which is hard to find, as the most common is the Mini-B.
Would Mini-B work?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks
CamperVan application.
Single PV:275W.
Charge Controller: KID w/WBjr.
Battery: Lifeline 8D 255Ah.
Main load: 4A DC refrigerator.

atop8918

Hi,
The cable designation is the physical connector on the cable -- the Kid uses a Mini-B connector, nothing else will fit into the connector, I'm afraid. They are still around and you should be able to pick one up at a Best Buy or Radio Shack (as long as they are still open). You can also order them online:

http://www.amazon.com/6ft-Type-Male-Mini-Cable/dp/B000GHXTBO/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1409900059&sr=8-11&keywords=Mini+A+USB

vtmaps

Quote from: atop8918 on September 05, 2014, 02:59:47 AM
the Kid uses a Mini-B connector

So the manual (page 31) is in error.  --vtMaps

atop8918

I believe it is incorrect -- The Mini-A connector is not compatible with the Kid.
I'm pretty sure you want the Mini-B plug which used to be the type you got with PDAs and Cameras before they switched them out in favor of the micro versions.

In which case, sorry, Thanasis, I misread your post -- you are actually right and it seems the manual is wrong. Let me send off a couple emails to the team and just make sure I'm not completely stupid....

-Andrew

Free Energy Freak

It is definitely a mini-B, as that is what came with my Beta Kid. I confirmed it by looking at the cable end that plugs into the controller. The manual is wrong.

400 watts, MS ProStar 30m, 12vdc @ 240 AH - Internal lighting & 12v Shurflo pump at farm.
270 watts, Beta Kid, 12vdc @ 120AH - Back up internet, computer, during weekly power cuts.
100 watts, MS Sunlight 10a, 12vdc @ 50AH - Exterior LED perimeter lighting at farm.

thanasis

OK. I'll get a mini-B. Thank you all very much.
CamperVan application.
Single PV:275W.
Charge Controller: KID w/WBjr.
Battery: Lifeline 8D 255Ah.
Main load: 4A DC refrigerator.

Mario

Thanks Andrew for the clarification,
We will get those changes in the next Manual rev.

Mario