Load function to charge starter battery?

Started by mondo, October 11, 2014, 10:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mondo

Hello.  I just installed the kid in my vehicle along with a 60cell solar module and it works great.  Now i am thinking of using the load function to charge my starter battery but not sure if that is a good idea.  Is the load function capable of doing this?  My house battery and starter battery are separate but both are grounded to the chassis.  My alternator only puts out about 40amps and already has a hard time running all accessories while driving at night.  It would be nice to be able to top off the starter battery with the extra energy produced by the solar module when my house battery is full. 

How can i make this work?

vtmaps

Welcome to the forum,

Anytime you have a power source, you can use it to charge a battery.  All you need is a battery charger that can work from that power source.  (example: your charge controller is a battery charger that works from PV output).

Your scheme won't work.  Sure, you can draw power via the load function.  And you can use that power to charge your starter battery.  All you need is a battery charger that could work from the load function output (which is at house battery voltage).  You are looking for a charger that takes 12 volts (nominal) and charges a 12 volt battery.  That charger would probably have to up-convert the power to a higher voltage in order to regulate it into your starter battery. 

I'm sorry but I can't think of a solution to your problem:  How to charge two different batteries with one kid, giving first priority to the house battery.

This recent thread might answer some of your questions about load function, or bring up some more questions:
http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=2108.0

--vtMaps

mondo

I see.  Yes i was reading that thread which is why i thought and I was hoping the pmw divert would be able to charge the starter battery.  Crushed.  I will need to figure out a new load for the kid to do. 

xsnrg

Maybe not done yet... don't give up without a fight  8).  There are chargers out there that do exactly that, such as the iCharger 106B+.  It is a special smart charger made to accommodate many different types of batteries, including Pb acid.  It works on various input voltages, and converts them to the needed voltage for charging, provided enough amps are available of course.  This should work as I have driven this charger directly from a solar panel with a cheapo PWM controller before and had great results.  The only downside I can think of would be I don't think it has an automatic charge start function.
3x 250w Renogy RNG-250D
1x MidNite KID w/WBjr and MNBTS
1x 12v 100Ah el cheapo deep cycle
1x 300w PST-300-12 Samlex pure sine
http://www.howardweb.org/weather/solar/index.html

tecnodave

@xnrg,

Thanks for that lead-------looks like just what I need for my mixed bag of power tool batteries.

tecno
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P