classic arc fault tripping

Started by mahendra, February 06, 2013, 07:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahendra

hi i have tried to diagnosed the problem of the arc fault tripping on my earlier post and did so by inspecting all connections including the mc4 connectors on the pv array wasn't a hard job because there are only two conergy 235p panels in series going to the classic.However, i found no issue that i cannot  see and the problem still persist. To be more specific any time the wattage hits around 250 or more arc fault trips any suggestions .
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

boB

You could go into tweaks and raise the AF threshold or time a couple numbers.

How old is that Classic ?  Approximately what serial number is it would tell us that.

Our newer units have a arc fault system that is a bit less sensitive than older ones.

Worse case, you can just disable AF in the Tweaks menu but I would like to
find out the vintage of your Classic.

Remember that in order for the new AF sensitivity adjustments to take effect, the Classic
must be powered down and back up again after changing its numbers and pressing Enter
to save.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mahendra

serial i think is CL04157,i think its a newer version too .i only installed a few months now but only now its fully or almost fully operational so i guess all of the little faults are popping up now
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

mahendra

also i deliberately did not change the setting on the arc adjustment because i think the default setting were put there for a good purpose .So i am just trying to make sure i am not missing anything and wanted expert advise/opinion before i change the settings.Additionally i have read a post on 'Northern Arizona sun and wind' where on guy was experiencing the same problem and he ended up frying his classic or something like that of course he was covered by warranty .However i live in South America,Guyana and i do not know if Midnite covers for such warranty in far off places besides if they did  it is not easy or feasible for me either so i prefer to take good care of my Classic.

Vic

Hi mahendra,

Just to make ceratin,  please check the torque -- how tightly -- the screws on all of the screw terminals for the wires attaching to the Classic PV input and Battery output terminals,   AND,  all of the terminals on the Breakers or fuses  as well.  I would make them "good and tight" -- to the point where these screws are reluctant to turn very much more without fairly aggressive additional twisting on the screwdriver.   Be very careful,  due to the voltages present on these terminals when the system is operating.

It is common for these connections to relax a bit within the first day or so after installation,    possibly causing a bit of a loose connection.

Also all of these connections should be kept dry,  but the MC cable connections are rated for exposure to the sun/weather,  so they resist water penetration. This may have been covered in another Thread.      Good Luck,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

mahendra

thanks a lot.Already did that today just have to wait  for the sun tomorrow to know for sure if that will solve the problem.

boB

Warranty is harder for south America, but we will always honor it and find a way to get things going.

Good idea to check connections of course.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Westbranch

Yup, that tightening is in a couple of those videos about setting up a Classic or Epanel, etc. 
I know It has caught me a couple of times...Nah it was 'real tight' when i put it together..

..IT Happens...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

mahendra

thanks a lot guys checking and re-tightening connections definitely helped with little adjustment to the arc fault settings ,turning it off was not an option for me,So thanks again