Waste Not Hi setting question...

Started by couchsachraga, April 07, 2014, 08:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

couchsachraga

I've read through quite a number of posts here (thank you all for taking the time to post - makes life easier!) and thought I had things dialed in... but apparently not.

The setup:
1070 watts of panels (12v, DC) in to a Midnite Classic 200
12v DC battery bank (4x T1275)
"opportunity" load - hot water heating element (15v / 30 amp) http://www.backwoodssolar.com/products/diversion-loads/water-load-15v-30a-or-60a-30v-30a (wired to only element only)
40 amp SSR

Aux 2 set to "Waste Not Hi", -0.2v offset, 1v width

Perfect solar day - deep blue sky, morning temp below freezing.  Not a cloud in the sky all day.  Batteries were at 83% in the am (two days of usage and clouds / rain)
As batteries were charged up a bit began to pulse in (good).

Checked back a little while later and noted the following:
Midnite read batteries at 15.2 v.
Separate meter (confirmed with volt meter) read 12.5
29.5 amp load on batteries (a fan, a few small DC pumps, and obviously the heating element)

This was actually draining the batteries back down...

Later I noticed something had tripped the breaker that goes from the Midnite to the batteries....IIRC it is an 80 or 100 amp breaker...(need to find that receipt or pop the cover of the Babybox).

Any thoughts on:
1)  Why the midnite was showing 15.2v, while batteries where actually at 12.5?
2)  How to better optimize the waste not mode in my situation (I've been reading about folks tuning down the offset further, but mostly for 24v and 48v setups)
3)  Why the breaker may have tripped (I suspect it was related to 1 or 2...)

Thank you very much!

Halfcrazy

The Classic showed the battery voltage high because the breaker was tripped. So the real question is why did the breaker trip?

1070 watts of PV could easily pop a 80 amp breaker so 2 things we need to know. What is the amperage of the breaker and what is the output current limit set for in the Limits menu?

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Resthome

If your using Midnite breakers the AMP rating should be marked on the front in white letters. At least my 100 A and 80 A Midnite breakers are.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

couchsachraga

Makes sense - I'll check my settings, as well as the amperage of the breaker (no computer there, nor internet access).  It is a Midnite breaker IIRC.  So, with any luck this may be just the problem of the breaker being too small (if I'm lucky...)

zoneblue

Which side of that breaker is your diversion connected?
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar