Status Panel on Android

Started by ChrisOlson, September 14, 2013, 03:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisOlson

I got Adobe AIR for my Android tablet computer.  But now am wondering if there is a way to make the Status Panel run on the Android tablet?  Is Status Panel specific to Windows or will it work on anything that can have Adobe AIR in it?
--
Chris

TomW

Chris;

I vote "yes". Pretty sure it will but wouldn't be the first time I was a half bubble off.

Seems the Local App is "opened" with AIR. They only show one Local App download link and I know I put it on the Mac Amy uses and this Ubuntu laptop.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

ChrisOlson

Thanks Tom, although it appears I can't get the application to run on the Android as it is a Windows based file.  Evidently the files for Android are different.  I got the Adobe AIR for it from the Google Play Store and installed it.  I thought that might make it work.
--
Chris

atop8918

As far as I know the Local App will only work on Windows and Mac versions of Adobe Air. The App uses a .AIR file which is the Adobe Air runtime extension, not Windows. It does, however, use some advanced libraries which do not play nicely with some of the cut-down versions of the AIR runtime (i.e. tablets / phones). If you want to try, you should install Air on your device and then attempt to download it using the Web downloader badge on the mymidnite website:

http://www.mymidnite.com/?q=node/7

If it does not automatically install then your device does not support the libraries used by the Local App.

We originally used Air because we were led to believe that the codebase would also run on anything that ran Air including Windows, Mac, Linux, and Adnroid, but it seems that was misleading advertising on Adobe's part in addition to their dropping of the Linux platform.

ChrisOlson

Quote from: atop8918 on September 14, 2013, 06:39:45 PM
If you want to try, you should install Air on your device and then attempt to download it using the Web downloader badge on the mymidnite website:

http://www.mymidnite.com/?q=node/7

Ah OK - thanks!  I'll give that a try and see if I can get it to work.
--
Chris

ChrisOlson

I'm probably doing something wrong because this is what I get from it:

--
Chris

ChrisOlson

I got the .air file downloaded into my Android tablet but it doesn't work.  I found out by googling it that I have to somehow make a Android package from it:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WS901d38e593cd1bac25d3d8c712b2d86751e-8000.html

But this is beyond what I understand how to do.
--
Chris

boB

I tried to do this a long time ago.  Couldn't get it to work on my android phone.

And android tablets are even different than the phones as far as this stuff goes.

My Midnite however will work on a phone or tablet because it is HTML.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ChrisOlson

We have replaced our old SCP for our power system with the Android tablet computer.  I still use the SCP in the utility room for wired backup and system access and/or control functions.  But inside the house we only use the little tablet computer anymore.  I was hoping that if I could get the Status Panel to run on the Android that I would have everything for our complete system on one SCP.

It looks like it might work if I just understood all of Adobe's instructions on how to convert the air file to the form that Android uses.
--
Chris

ChrisOlson

Quote from: boB on September 14, 2013, 08:32:25 PM
My Midnite however will work on a phone or tablet because it is HTML.

I got signed in on My MidNite with our Android and that will work just fine.  Thanks!
--
Chris

atop8918

Hi. Chris,
Sorry for the troubles there. Looks like that is the raw data of the program which usually happens when the browser can't figure out what kind of file is being downloaded (usually Explorer).

I will investigate this again to see if I can get the app to compile natively for Android, but I don't think it's a possibility at the moment. We are moving away from Air as soon as possible but it is a hard switch. The Local App represents a few man years of work and there are a few tens of thousands of lines of code written in pure Actionscript which will only work with Adobe.

I thought I'd take the risk and try something "modern" for the Local App and learned my lesson. I think in future I will stick to C and the stock libraries. If it were possible I'd etch the Local App into clay tablets using cuniform but I think the UI experience would be a little unresponsive.

ChrisOlson

Quote from: atop8918 on September 15, 2013, 04:35:52 AM
Sorry for the troubles there. Looks like that is the raw data of the program which usually happens when the browser can't figure out what kind of file is being downloaded (usually Explorer).

That's what I figured out too.  Once I downloaded the file to the Android instead of trying to handle it with a web browser, then I got the .air file.  But I found that Android says it can't figure out what to do with the file.  So I started checking on it with Google and found out that it has to be converted to different type of package for Android.  But I don't understand the instructions on that page at all.

But really, My MidNite works fine!  Things that are on the internet like that, using just a web browser, anybody can use.  Maybe just put a little web server right in the Classic instead of fighting with the Status Panel?
--
Chris

atop8918

Good call, Chris, that's actually the plan: to move away from a separate application and just do an internal web-page on the device itself. I'm not sure if we'll be able to do that on the Classic, but our future products will. That's the plan, anyways...

boB

Yes, putting a nice web server into the Classic takes too many resources (memory mainly).
We could put a not so nice web server in there but that wouldn't be much fun.

Also, a lot of people have a hard time port forwarding to their Classics through their modems
and routers so the My Midnite method really helps that problem go away.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ChrisOlson

Quote from: boB on September 15, 2013, 04:58:00 PM
Yes, putting a nice web server into the Classic takes too many resources (memory mainly).

Can't you plug one of them little 4GB uSD cards into it for memory?  That's what our ComBox has.  If it goes bad you just replace it - don't have to tear the box apart to put new memory in it.

I guess the read/write time to uSD is not very fast compared to high freq internal memory.  But for this application it doesn't have to be.  And it's actually faster than the virtual memory on the hard drive in your computer when you run out of RAM.  All the custom logging is done via the uSD in the ComBox and when access that from your web browser or Android it uses the uSD memory.  It's just as fast - can't tell any different from accessing stuff stored in internal memory in it.

Just a thought on how you can increase memory in the Classic without breaking the bank, or even taking up much room.  They use this method on cell phones, digital cameras and probably other stuff too.
--
Chris