Possible way to use Linux for L. App

Started by Westbranch, August 16, 2015, 02:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westbranch

Had a chat with a buddy that is a techie and he dug up this as a possible solution to use Linux to run the L. App.  Not conversant enough to say it looks possible...

http://jcward.com/Installing+AIR+Apps+On+Linux

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

ChrisOlson

I might have to look into this myself.  We don't have any Windows computers left at our place, since we never upgraded beyond Windows 7, and Windows 7 didn't work all that good compared to XP.  So all our laptops got Kubuntu linux in them now.  I never had anything I needed Windows for anyway except the MidNite Local App, and it would be kind of nice to get that working again.

atop8918

I can confirm that the Local App works on Linux -- at least on one version and one copy of Linux.

I use Linux Mint on my old acer aspire one. I loaded Wine onto it, a fairly recent version though it's not handy.

I installed Air for Windows directly from the Adobe website using Firefox.

I manually downloaded the Local App (using the direct link, right clicking and Save As...

I installed the Local App Using the AIR installer under wine by right clicking the LocalApp.air file and saying "open with Adobe AIR Installer"

The App installed. I ran it. It stopped and started a bit with the first try, but now it is running like a charm. I can not confirm that I can set settings with it as I don't have the serial numbers for my devices handy, but otherwise it seems to work fine.

ChrisOlson

When I get a chance here in November sometime I plan on seeing if I can get it to work.  I'm running Kubuntu 14.1 because I don't like the desktop environment in 15.1.  If the Kubuntu team keeps breaking things every time they put out a new release I'm tempted to go back to pure Debian so I can run what I want, instead of their packaged version of it.

atop8918

I was a huge Ubuntu fan boy when it first came out. Seems like to be commercially viable they've started dumping a lot of crapware on it. They are just following the market, but it seems once a place gets a board of directors and start selling stock the products tend to decrease in quality. I've been thrilled with Linux Mint. I think it's LDE on top of a scaled-down Debian core and it just flies. Stuck it on an old Aspire One (1Gig ram) with a newer SSD and it's at least as fast as my Intel i5 windows 10 machine with 8Gig Ram.

Slax is a sweet little OS as well.

ChrisOlson

Well, in the mean time I upgraded to 15.1 and became upset because it's buggier than a warm August night.  So that's the point where I gave up on Ubuntu/Kubuntu all together.  They're pulling packages out of Debian Sid, putting their own twists on them, and shoving these releases out the door every six months, half baked.

I ran pure Debian since 1994 when Ian Murdock invented it.  I only ran Kubuntu the last year or so.  But when 15.1 broke my install I dumped it and installed Debian 8.2 Jessie with the KDE4/Plasma desktop.  At least with Debian Stable you know your system will never break, and it's fast because I don't have a bunch of bloatware kernel modules loaded that I don't need.  I loaded it in my Dell XPS laptop with a Core2 cpu, 8GB RAM and nVidia G-Force graphics with a dual-headed display.  I got everything working except for my wireless-n wifi apapter that I need to compile a 8812au driver module for.  This laptop is also used in my ham shack for digital modes and don't have FLdigi and the rest of my software loaded in it yet.  But it will be the one I put WINE in and see if I can get the local app working on it.