maximum power it can handle

Started by kauaisolarman, October 07, 2016, 05:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kauaisolarman

have midnite classic 150,200, and a KiD CC.

wanted someone to verify that i can overpower these midnite controllers without hurting them correct?

for example can i hook up 1200 watts of solar panels to my Kid CC on a 24V battery bank and not blow it up (the KiD that is)?  i know the kid can put out 720 watts @ 24V (30Ax24V=720W)  but can i hook up 1200 watts and be OK?  i have read that it will just not use all the power and be just fine.  can anyone confirm this.

reason being

i have an extra set of panels about 1200 watts and want to hook it to my Kid controller and hook the Kid and classic 150SL together to charge a 24V battery bank.

I already have the classic 150SL charging the battery bank but i want to add more pv to my system for charging but i don't have the same type of solar panles so i need to have the 2 different controllers.

anyway just want to know if i can hook up more power than the controller is rated to put out?

thanks in advance for any help
2 solar systems in progress;
1. 24V interstate battery; 5x sanyo hit 190Watt in parallel to classic 150-SL + 8x Shell 140 watt series/parallel to classic 150-Sl (follow me).

2. 48V aquion battery; 6x panasonic HIT 325, 6x suniva 315,  CC TBD.

TomW

The Classics for certain have protection built in to limit output. That means it will only use what it needs to accomplish that.  The same way you can hook up a 2 watt night lite to the grid that can provides many kilowatts of power to a load  without vaporizing it. The basic nature of electricity is at work there.

Voltage is another story and you DO NOT want to over voltage them.

So, sure, you can put a Classic on a huge array and it will only use the power it needs to produce whatever charge current limit you set in the configuration.

Hope that makes sense?

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies