News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on Today at 03:34:17 PMthis is off topic Barry but thought you might enjoy this video I just watched 
"Ground is a Myth"

Just watched it. I feel much better grounded in the subject.

For a limited time you too can have the miraculous BBMT which will identify all your real and imaginary grounding issues and lead you to the promised land of resolution!
Midnite DIY Series / Re: What's not to like
Last post by boB - Today at 04:54:52 PM

Great looking installation !

boB
New Product Ideas and Discussion / Re: remote battery sensing
Last post by boB - Today at 04:48:16 PM
Quote from: ClassicCrazy on Today at 03:34:17 PMthis is off topic Barry but thought you might enjoy this video I just watched 
"Ground is a Myth" in regards to what is ground and the benefits or detriments of grounding circuits, equipment,  or electrical systems . https://youtu.be/VvE570NPmmI?si=uFOg4l2KYYaazk-t
video from ARRL vice president.
Larry

Larry, turns out I watched this video just the other day !
this is off topic Barry but thought you might enjoy this video I just watched 
"Ground is a Myth" in regards to what is ground and the benefits or detriments of grounding circuits, equipment,  or electrical systems . https://youtu.be/VvE570NPmmI?si=uFOg4l2KYYaazk-t
video from ARRL vice president.
Larry
Midnite DIY Series / What's not to like
Last post by gspillane12@gmail.com - Today at 03:31:05 PM
So, it looks like the DIY line for the 3024 and the 5048 may be coming to an end. That is to bad. I recently installed a 3024, and it works flawlessly, and looks great with the MNE200 E Panel. Solid setup!
Quote from: ClassicCrazy on May 29, 2024, 05:14:04 PMBarry - you have it about right .
I just played around with the offset until it is close to agreeing with what the batteries bms reports.
Notice also in the graph how the current takes a big dip as the batteries get full. The absorb time is set to about 25 minutes , then to float.
Larry

Good to remember that a 6000w inverter drawing 125A (48v) 250A (24v) is more subject to this voltage drop.
125A X .5v = 62.5 watts
250A X .5v = 125 watts
The "Classic" charge controller / Re: Replacing FETs on Classic ...
Last post by boB - May 30, 2024, 06:11:45 PM
Quote from: Hockey on May 30, 2024, 02:25:23 PMThank you very much for the hand-holding.  It wouldn't have happened without.

Unless advised otherwise, I am re-using the thermal FET pad.  It was pliable with no visible damage or dryness.
I was also able to re-use the blue beads on two of the the drain leads.

There is only so far I can push the testing at the moment.  I boosted my 32V bench supply to various higher voltages but was only getting ~280W at best.   Tomorrow, under close supervision, I will connect it to one of my arrays. It is supposed to be a sunny day.   I have an IR temperature sensor, so will check temps periodically.

Now...  where the heck is my torque screwdriver for the 18 in-lbs required on the FET Clamp.

I was going to say use a torque wrench if you have one.

And use the tried and true star pattern method.  Well, as best as you can because it isn't a car tire.

Good news on being able to reuse the amo beads and the insulator.

We could probably have provided those if they were not in decent shape I would think.

Glad the FET drivers and gate resistors didn't need replacing either.

Good job !

boB
Lead Acid (Sealed and flooded) / Re: Proposed Solar Charging Re...
Last post by boB - May 30, 2024, 06:05:05 PM
Quote from: Barry Fields on May 30, 2024, 04:11:45 PM
Quote from: boB on May 30, 2024, 12:38:59 PMBesides, whatever you have said on this forum might be considered as published now ?

I talked to Hillary Clinton. You apply for the Patent and I will start deleting posts and emails.  ;D

I LOVE it Barry !

OH !  And better contact the Japanese ambassador !

You would also have to factor in the lead acid battery temperature because that may not be constant.  Midnite calculates that in for it's SOC estimate reading.
I think these days most people have or will soon be moving on to lithiums from lead acid batteries.
So the way to know capacity is with counting down the ah from when the batteries are at the top charge. With lithium you can more easily see that top from the voltage and when the current drops off.
And it doesn't matter too much if they don't even get filled all the way up regularly since there are no sulphation concerns.
Larry
The "Classic" charge controller / Re: Replacing FETs on Classic ...
Last post by Vic - May 30, 2024, 05:47:41 PM
Hockey,  GREAT WORK!!

Vic