Solar and wind combo

Started by mtfalk64, February 02, 2013, 07:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtfalk64

I have the Midnite 150 and its about two years old and I have been super happy.  It is currently used for my solar panels.  Is it possible to have the Midnite switch from solar during the day to wind at night.  I have two turbines but the charge controller I original had was junk so I don't currently use the turbines.  I know some will say buy another midnite and I have plans but like most, money doesnt grow on trees.  But I just wondered if it would be possible.  I have plenty of power during the day with all the panels just thought it would be nice to have extra power during the windy nights. 

Halfcrazy

While possible I am not sure it is practical.

You would need a DC transfer switch on the input side break before make: style. Then every time you switch from wind to solar you would have to switch the mode as well in the classics menu. This would not be real bad. As far as I can see (Pre Coffee) all you would need to do is flip the transfer switch and go into the Mode menu and switch from Solar to Wind track. Next AM just reverse the process.

The real issue would be forgetting and leaving it on wind all day and the pv not being hooked up (That is what I would do for sure  ::)  )

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

mtfalk64

Question is, could the midnite be programmed to automaticly switches over as the sunsets it goes into the preset wind mode.  then at dawn it switches back to solar.  Just an idea of using one device for two applications.

dgd

Quote from: mtfalk64 on February 02, 2013, 07:57:37 AM
i have two turbines but the charge controller I original had was junk so I don't currently use the turbines.

Why not just directly connect the turbines' DC outputs to the battery bank?  If the output is AC then a 3 phase bridge rectifier is needed, one per turbine. That way you get any potential wind power day or night. Better than having them not used  :)

Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

mtfalk64

i believe you can over charge batteries by just connecting the DC to the batteries.

Halfcrazy

Well it is possible to overcharge the batery by connecting the turbine direct but. If I where doing this I would hook both turbines to the battery direct (With Rectification and over current protection of course) and use the Classic's Aux to run a dumpload for over charge protection. I would set it to dump say 0.5 volts above the PV charging set point. I would actually use Waste Not Hi and set it for 0.6 and 0.4

So what would happen is the Solar controller would push to say 28 volts (A figurative Absorb number) and if the wind picks up and the set point gets to 28.6v the diversion would come on. Of course the Solar would have shut down at 28 volts so the wind would be the only thing dumping.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

mtfalk64

well that makes sense.  I will look in to this more.  Thank you.

TomW

You could (possibly) use the AUX1 to drive a shorting relay to shut down the turbine on the AC side of its rectifiers at some voltage that protects the batteries.

Maybe.

It just seems sensible to connect the turbine for the power at least when you need it?

I do this manually when everything is running balls to the firewall and batteries are full.

Many, many ways to defur a feline.

Good luck with it.

Tom.
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

dgd

Quote from: mtfalk64 on February 03, 2013, 08:56:34 AM
i believe you can over charge batteries by just connecting the DC to the batteries.

Well maybe   :-\   you  haven't quite given us enough information about your system to see if this is likely..  what are the turbines' output rated at?  How many watts PV do you have into the Classic?
I would still suggest you connect  one or both  direct to the battery and see what happens. Assuming they are 3 phase turbines then connect a 3 pole switch to short the AC lines so you can switch them off if you see battery overcharging.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000

boB

Well, if it we me and I had a turbine and wind that would not put out higher than my PV current fuse rating, I might
just parallel the PV array with the turbine output and use the PV as my clipper.

But, that would just be me of course.  If I got a storm and the turbine output was too high, I would have to
shut off the charge controller and short the input to brake the turbine.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mtfalk64

I have two 1200 watt 3 phase 24 volt turbines.  Currently I have 10 - 12 volt 210 watt Evergreen (connected in 24 volt series) and 6 - 24 volt 235 watt Sharp with 16 - 6 volt 210 ah connected in 24 volt setup and 1 - Classic 150.  When money comes in I will be purchasing a 2nd Classic 150.

Please before you start yelling at me for all this wattage, keep this in mind.  During the winter months I only bring in 1.5 to 2.0 kw per day with all these panels.  In a few month I will be shutting off the Sharp and just with the 10 - Evergreen I get 10 kw per day from around April to Oct.

I like the idea of using a aux1 and putting the brake on if the voltage gets above a certain voltage.  You all are opening up my eyes to the extra things that the Classic can do. 

Thank you 

dgd

Quote from: mtfalk64 on February 05, 2013, 05:43:52 PM
I have two 1200 watt 3 phase 24 volt turbines.  Currently I have 10 - 12 volt 210 watt Evergreen (connected in 24 volt series) and 6 - 24 volt 235 watt Sharp with 16 - 6 volt 210 ah connected in 24 volt setup and 1 - Classic 150.  When money comes in I will be purchasing a 2nd Classic 150.

Please before you start yelling at me for all this wattage, keep this in mind.  During the winter months I only bring in 1.5 to 2.0 kw per day with all these panels.  In a few month I will be shutting off the Sharp and just with the 10 - Evergreen I get 10 kw per day from around April to Oct.

I like the idea of using a aux1 and putting the brake on if the voltage gets above a certain voltage.  You all are opening up my eyes to the extra things that the Classic can do.

Thank you

Ok it sort of makes sense what you are doing. Now its your winter I would connect at least one turbine to batteries via a 3 phase switch and a 3 phase rectifier (for each turbine).
When April arrives and you disconnect the Sharps keep one turbine connected. During day Classic will just reduce absorb and float current from panels if turbine is making power..  at night you will be able to take turbine power.
Until you get another Classic it may be an idea to get a 600w 24v water heating element (ebay $50) and wire the panels to it. May as well get some free hot water  :)

dgd

mtfalk64

I want to thank you all for your response.  It did help and I did hook up one turbine directly to the batteries.  I switch the brake on during the sunny days and let it run at night or during snow storms.  I have ordered a element to heat some water.

Thanks again. 

mtfalk64

I have 1 - Classic 150
2- 1200 watt 3 phase 24 volt turbines. 
10 - 12 volt 210 watt Evergreen (connected in 24 volt series)
6 - 24 volt 235 watt Sharp
16 - 6 volt 210 ah connected in 24 volt setup

Winter is over and I have shut down the 6 - 24 volt 235 watt Sharp.  But can anyone point me into the correct direction for me to use the
6 - 24 volt Sharps to heat my hot water tank.  I remember someone mentioned that I could use one of the AUX to use the wasted solar to heat water.  Currently my batteries are fully charged by about 10 am or earlier.  I would like to explore the possiblities of using the AUX 1 or 2 for
this. 

Anyone want to help with this?  Or point me on the right path.  Ryan and TomW both of you have some ideas you mentioned earlier in this posting and I would like to explore them.  Can I set up one or both of the AUX to use the unused panels to turn them on and off to heat a water tank.  Or just leave all the panels hooked up and once the batteries are charged it switches the solar panels to heat the water tank.  if so what would I need and possilbe diagram.

Mike

TomW

Quote from: mtfalk64 on May 06, 2013, 05:48:58 PM
I have 1 - Classic 150
2- 1200 watt 3 phase 24 volt turbines. 
10 - 12 volt 210 watt Evergreen (connected in 24 volt series)
6 - 24 volt 235 watt Sharp
16 - 6 volt 210 ah connected in 24 volt setup

Winter is over and I have shut down the 6 - 24 volt 235 watt Sharp.  But can anyone point me into the correct direction for me to use the
6 - 24 volt Sharps to heat my hot water tank.  I remember someone mentioned that I could use one of the AUX to use the wasted solar to heat water.  Currently my batteries are fully charged by about 10 am or earlier.  I would like to explore the possiblities of using the AUX 1 or 2 for
this. 

Anyone want to help with this?  Or point me on the right path.  Ryan and TomW both of you have some ideas you mentioned earlier in this posting and I would like to explore them.  Can I set up one or both of the AUX to use the unused panels to turn them on and off to heat a water tank.  Or just leave all the panels hooked up and once the batteries are charged it switches the solar panels to heat the water tank.  if so what would I need and possilbe diagram.

Mike

Mike;

Chris Olson probably is more savvy with water heating than I am. My method is pretty rude and crude but he seems to have it sorted out well for his application and pretty much heats all his water with RE.

Maybe he will poke his head in and toss you some ideas.

Good luck with it.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies