Is there a Follow Me tutorial?

Started by TomW, February 23, 2013, 08:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfcrazy

Tom
2 things I will point out.

Enable BTS Net on every Classic you want to use the battery temp that is on the network. (Only plug in one BTS though)

Blue LED will have 2 states. Fast blink showing good comms (1/10 of a second), Long blink showing no comms (1/2-3/4 second)

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

TomW

Ryan;

RE: the blue LED.

On the older one with a raised LED S/N 018XX the LED stays on longer (closer to the 1/2 to 3/4 second than the newer one with surface mount LEDs S/N 066XX which just flashes quickly. I kind of thought it was the difference in the LEDs?

Both have the same firmware:

Firmware:     
- Classic Rev: 1181
- Network Rev: 1122

It seems to work fine, regardless.

Just curious.

Thanks.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

boB

Quote from: TomW on February 24, 2013, 07:19:26 PM
Ryan;

RE: the blue LED.

On the older one with a raised LED S/N 018XX the LED stays on longer (closer to the 1/2 to 3/4 second than the newer one with surface mount LEDs S/N 066XX which just flashes quickly. I kind of thought it was the difference in the LEDs?

Both have the same firmware:

Firmware:     
- Classic Rev: 1181
- Network Rev: 1122

It seems to work fine, regardless.

Just curious.

Thanks.

Tom

Tom, the short LED blip is a good sign.  A slower on time for the LED means that it did
not receive the information from its neighbor.  The long blue LED is OK once in a while
though so not a problem if it is on longer as long as it isn't every single time, which could
mean some kind of communications problem like a cable or something else.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Eric L

Just to update this for those who, like me, added the 1370 firmware revision and were initially confused.

Per the release notes, with networked classics, there is now no "Follow Me" number to set in Tweaks; it's just on or off with a default number of 15. Also, you have to set the BTS to "master" or "follow" for networked classics or the Classics will report different battery voltages.

mjp24coho

Wanted to revive this thread with a specific question. How would you wire 2 classics for Follow-Me, when both classics have a monitor and you also use a 3rd monitor for remote viewing (100' from the classics). I have 2 classics in my garage and a third display in my cabin, so I can monitor from all 3 screens. How do you wire for Follow-Me, since there are only 3 ports to plug into? I can't figure a way to do it based on the instructions, but it doesn't seem like that unusual of a scenario.
Offgrid Cabin: 8x215 watt Kyocera panels (roof mount), Midnite E-Panel with Magnum MS4024 inverter, Midnite Classic 200, 800AH 24V forklift battery, Magnum battery monitor, online Magnum inverter & Midnite charge monitoring, Honda EM5000SX generator.

boB

Quote from: mjp24coho on October 18, 2013, 03:19:58 PM
Wanted to revive this thread with a specific question. How would you wire 2 classics for Follow-Me, when both classics have a monitor and you also use a 3rd monitor for remote viewing (100' from the classics). I have 2 classics in my garage and a third display in my cabin, so I can monitor from all 3 screens. How do you wire for Follow-Me, since there are only 3 ports to plug into? I can't figure a way to do it based on the instructions, but it doesn't seem like that unusual of a scenario.

I would either unplug one of the MNGPs (the remote display) from one of the Classics and just use that connection, OR,
you could plug each Classic's Ethernet into a router or switch or bridge and monitor/control them remotely using
the Local App panel.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me