Twin solar panal arrays with separate charge controllers

Started by ldeangelis, March 17, 2014, 10:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldeangelis

I am a newbie to this forum. I am planning a major upgrade to my off grid solar power capability in remote Maine. I have a 48V system consisting of eight 6V Trojan batteries of 435ah each. These batteries are only 3 years old and therefore I hope to get many more years out of them until I move to Maine in retirement. Now, I am at my camp about 7 weeks per year. My plan is to set up two independent and identical arrays of approximately 1500 watts each and run the power from each through separate Midnite charge controllers connected to the battery bank in parallel. My question is can I run both arrays simultaneously as described or do I need to split the bank into 4 batteries each. Ultimately, I will upgrade the battery bank to a capacity of approximately 1500ah. Thank you in advance.

Halfcrazy

First welcome to Maine. What part of Maine? Attached is a picture of the other days snow.

Why 2 classics? If each array is 1500 watts that's 3000 watts a single classic can handle that on a 48 volt battery?

But if there is a good reason for 2 than yes they can be paralleled on the battery side no problem at all
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

ldeangelis

Thank you for quick response. My rationale for separate arrays and chargers is to guarantee power in event of tree strike etc. Repairs can be next to impossible in winter at my site which is accessible only by snowmobile. My camp is on Burnt Jacket Point, town of Beaver Cove on east side of Moosehead lake. Are we neighbors? Thanks again.
                                                     Larry D

Halfcrazy

Pretty close. I am just off the interstate in Corinna

ldeangelis

I get off 95 at Newport, drive thru Corina and head North to Greenville. Presently, in New Jersey.

Halfcrazy

Well feel free to holler if you ever need anything.