GFP with wind turbine/Kestrel

Started by David, November 10, 2013, 08:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Assuming my DC negative and grounds are separated, would you normally leave the GFP enabled for a wind turbine?  The Kestrel is DC out of the turbine and connects to its own clipper.

boB

Hi David.

I would just leave off the GFP for wind.
But it probably does not matter either way in most cases.

Did you make it up to the site this weekend ?  Didn't hear from you.
Hopefully things went well.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Halfcrazy

David
Agreed with boB I would not run GFP or Arc Fault on a wind turbine just because I always want my turbine loaded.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

David

Well I have the Kestrel up and running now.  I can look out the window at night to see easily if the turbine is actually generating power just from the blue light of the midnite surge protector.

From reading some other posts/documentation it sounds like I don't actually need to change any GFP setting since I have the negative and ground tied already and the controller recognizes this?

boB

Quote from: David on November 15, 2013, 07:08:39 PM
Well I have the Kestrel up and running now.  I can look out the window at night to see easily if the turbine is actually generating power just from the blue light of the midnite surge protector.

From reading some other posts/documentation it sounds like I don't actually need to change any GFP setting since I have the negative and ground tied already and the controller recognizes this?

Hey, that's great, Dave !    Yes, I like those blue LEDs too.   Mighty pretty...

Yeah, just leave the GFP alone if it's working OK, especially if you have another
ground to negative bond connection.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

vtmaps

Quote from: boB on November 16, 2013, 03:44:10 AM
Yeah, just leave the GFP alone if it's working OK, especially if you have another
ground to negative bond connection.

boB

How can a GFP work if he has another ground to negative bond connection?  Also, isn't it a bad idea to have two bonds?

--vtMaps

David

Quote from: vtmaps on November 16, 2013, 06:58:10 AM

How can a GFP work if he has another ground to negative bond connection?  Also, isn't it a bad idea to have two bonds?

--vtMaps
Sorry.  I didn't make myself clear.  It was my understanding that the GFP is essentially disabled when I have the negative and ground bonded.  So everything is "working" as I am expecting.

Halfcrazy

That is correct if there is a negative to ground bond that would essentially defeat the GFP device. Now I agree it is usually not a good idea to have 2 bonds but I am also not sure I consider the GFP a bond? I suppose it is in the simplest sense but at .5 amps I consider it a reference?

Either way simple way is to pull the jumper off the Classic if you installed it? They ship in the off position.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

boB

GFP is a requirement for solar.

You can have it for wind if you want to but the Classic's GFP is for solar.

Also, the Classic's negative to ground "bond"  is only good for 1/2 to 3/4 amp or so anyway.

The idea is that if and when the PV positive input inadvertently connects to ground, that bond opens up,
the Classic detects that it has opened up and then stops the Classic from running and
causes the MNGP to beep and show the error until you press a button on the MNGP.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

vtmaps

Quote from: boB on November 16, 2013, 07:01:15 PM

That's quite the new avatar!  I've never seen transmission lines whip around like that  :)

Back on topic... is GFP required for all solar, or just rooftop solar?   --vtMaps

David

Quote from: vtmaps on November 17, 2013, 04:47:08 AM
Quote from: boB on November 16, 2013, 07:01:15 PM

That's quite the new avatar!  I've never seen transmission lines whip around like that  :)

Back on topic... is GFP required for all solar, or just rooftop solar?   --vtMaps
The latest NEC code I could find says you need it only for solar installed on roofs of dwellings.  I did not realize this to begin with.