ok I'm stumped

Started by SolarWind, October 10, 2012, 03:34:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SolarWind

I have had the local app working fine for a few days with my new Classic & Clipper but this afternoon when I restarted my computer and ran the local app the screen is black. The window has the name at the top: "Midnite Solar Status Panel" but zero content, just black.

What I've tried:
- uninstalled the local app
- downloaded and installed the local app to the latest version
- updated Adobe Air to the latest version
- restarted the comp. several times
- restarted the Classic several times
- checked the comm port, it's 502

Suggestions? :-\

SolarWind

One more thing, the Classic firmware is right up to date as it's brand new and shows the latest date.

boB

I'll let the engineer know about this problem first thing in the morning...

What version of OS are you running ??

You might try uninstalling the local app and deleting its users or documents and settings directory and
then re-installing the local app.   Once in a while that helps.  At least it used to when things went whacky.
Sounds to me like yours is in that  category.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

SolarWind

Hi boB I'm on a Mac using Mountain Lion 10.82 - I did uninstall the local app and then installed the latest version but no change.

boB

Quote from: boB on October 10, 2012, 04:08:12 AM

I'll let the engineer know about this problem first thing in the morning...

What version of OS are you running ??

You might try uninstalling the local app and deleting its users or documents and settings directory and
then re-installing the local app.   Once in a while that helps.  At least it used to when things went whacky.
Sounds to me like yours is in that  category.

boB

Interesting...   Maybe you can try going to the directory where the old files lived, including the data collected,
and delete those files first before trying to re-install the new local app.

In windows, its in the documents directory.  I don't remember where it is in Mac OSX.

I have a Macbook Pro but it has the old OSX pre  snow leopard and the local app worked fine there but
I have not tried it recently.  Maybe I should ??

Haven't heard back from the engineer yet.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

SolarWind

Hi boB, I've looked through all the pref files and various library files and can't see anything that is obviously a data file for local status panel. Can you give me a file name to look for or any more clues on where I might find them?

boB

I will look through my Macbook and try to find them.  Our engineer may also know.

Here is what Andrew has to say in addition to what I mentioned earlier...
boB

Some deeper delving:
- Is the Classic set to Static or DHCP? Either way is it a legitimate address for the attached network?

- Is it possible to ping the classic from the MAC? (Finder->Applications->Console (or terminal) then ping <device ip address>

- Is the Local app set to auto-detect classics? Application->Configuration->Auto Detect Classics  (boB asked this question)

- Is the device's IP address added to the static IP table? Application->Configuration

There might be a conflict between the latest version of AIR and Mountain Lion 10.82 although I'm pretty sure I've seen other clients working fine with 10.82.

-A

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

SolarWind

Hi boB, here's my answer:

- Is the Classic set to Static or DHCP? Either way is it a legitimate address for the attached network?
It's set to DHCP - don't know how to determine if it's a legitimate address.
- Is it possible to ping the classic from the MAC? (Finder->Applications->Console (or terminal) then ping <device ip address>
I was able to ping it no problem. However the console window seems to indicate a problem, see the attached pic
- Is the Local app set to auto-detect classics? Application->Configuration->Auto Detect Classics  (boB asked this question)
Don't know how to do this, there is no configuration menu in the local status panel, I just get a completely black window.
- Is the device's IP address added to the static IP table? Application->Configuration
Again, don't know how to do this if I can't run the app.
There might be a conflict between the latest version of AIR and Mountain Lion 10.82 although I'm pretty sure I've seen other clients working fine with 10.82.

atop8918

Hi!
Sorry about the delayed response and that the Local App is not working.

I'm not sure why the app would start with a blank window. It looks from the log you posted that the install or update is not working correctly. This may be due to several things.

As boB suggested, I'd try uninstalling and removing the old data files, then try a fresh install. These datafiles contain logged data (the charts) so you may want to keep them around. Try moving the whole com.midnitesolar.LocalStatusPanel to your Documents directory for safekeeping.

The local app's data files should be at:

/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/com.midnitesolar.LocalStatusPanel

I hope this helps!
-Andrew

SolarWind

YES!! Thank you Andrew and boB! That worked. I just didn't know where to find the old data files but once removed everthing fired up as it should.