Epanel 500 Amp shunt and a Doc Wattson?

Started by TomW, November 21, 2012, 10:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

Quote from: Halfcrazy on December 23, 2012, 06:40:51 AM
Tom
We also should have the first revision of Current Sense Modules for the Classic in about 4-6 weeks. You will make a great Beta tester for one as you are reading the ModBus so that will be a huge help.

Ryan

How is this CSM development progressing? Any indication of when it will be available?

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

boB

Quote from: dgd on March 20, 2013, 05:51:48 PM
Quote from: Halfcrazy on December 23, 2012, 06:40:51 AM
Tom
We also should have the first revision of Current Sense Modules for the Classic in about 4-6 weeks. You will make a great Beta tester for one as you are reading the ModBus so that will be a huge help.

Ryan

How is this CSM development progressing? Any indication of when it will be available?

dgd

It's going very well !

I really shouldn't give any dates, but probably still 3 months out...  Just because of the typical red tape in getting new products out.

I think you're gonna love this !  Looks like it is going to be very accurate too.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Halfcrazy

We should of course have a special group of Alpha Testers on this product so feel free to bug me via Email or PM here for that

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

SolarMusher

Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

TomW

Quote from: Halfcrazy on March 21, 2013, 05:15:15 AM
We should of course have a special group of Alpha Testers on this product so feel free to bug me via Email or PM here for that

Ryan

Ryan;

You know I am in.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Resthome

Ryan
Be glad to participate, Ryan.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

Andrejs

Ryan

... and I would be interested as well!

Andrejs
Off-grid: Schott Protect ASI 103 X 12; Midnite CLASSIC 150 + WBjr; ENERSYS Hawker Prefect Plus 2V 1050Ah (c5) X 6 @12v; Victron Energy MultiPlus Compact 12/2000/80-30; Trimetric TM2025 A

Vern Faulkner

Ryan

What's the worst that could happen?

I'm in, if needed.

dgd

So what are  main features of this current monitor?
- resides close to a 50mv 500A shunt,  what about other shunt options?
-16bit A to D to give at least 0.1A accuracy over +400A to -400A
-cpu included to do modbus (ugh!) interface via serial or ethernet
-MNGP can be wired in to provide lcd + rubber button interface
-MNGP on a Classic can see it and report
-basis for a battery monitor
-a web interface
-a new firmware release for the Classic to use data from this monitor or monitors
-perhaps get a more accurate battery voltage measurement too
-maybe deal with a 150A shunt for Classic input and report accurate A and V
-Classic ignores its builtin Amps/Volts measurements for input and battery, and followme A and V  from monitor
-aux alarm output if current extraction from battery exceeds a configured limit, relay control
-surge events recorded - logging 380 days

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

SolarMusher

Quote from: Halfcrazy on December 24, 2012, 11:49:00 AM
Yes you are absolutely spot on. The MNCSM will allow that Classic to end its absorb charge based on End Amps but the TRUE end amps.
HI Ryan,
Could the CSM be mounted on the same shunt that is already used by a Magnum BMK or does it needs its own shunt?
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

boB

Quote from: SolarMusher on March 23, 2013, 02:38:24 PM
Yes you are absolutely spot on. The MNCSM will allow that Classic to end its absorb charge based on End Amps but the TRUE end amps.
HI Ryan,
Could the CSM be mounted on the same shunt that is already used by a Magnum BMK or does it needs its own shunt?
Erik

That's a great question that I had not thought of but I'm not sure it would matter ?

It is a local voltage developed across the shunt and read across the shunt so I bet it would
work.  I won't bet my life on it, but I think it might just work.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

boB

Quote from: dgd on March 22, 2013, 07:17:14 PM
So what are  main features of this current monitor?
- resides close to a 50mv 500A shunt,  what about other shunt options?
-16bit A to D to give at least 0.1A accuracy over +400A to -400A
-cpu included to do modbus (ugh!) interface via serial or ethernet
-MNGP can be wired in to provide lcd + rubber button interface
-MNGP on a Classic can see it and report
-basis for a battery monitor
-a web interface
-a new firmware release for the Classic to use data from this monitor or monitors
-perhaps get a more accurate battery voltage measurement too
-maybe deal with a 150A shunt for Classic input and report accurate A and V
-Classic ignores its builtin Amps/Volts measurements for input and battery, and followme A and V  from monitor
-aux alarm output if current extraction from battery exceeds a configured limit, relay control
-surge events recorded - logging 380 days

dgd

Since ths MN shunt monitor just tells the Classic what it is reading through the Aux 2 terminals,
most all of the software/firmware is done in the Classic itself so I believe most if not ALL of
your list will have a very good chance of being implemented.

And on the voltage accuracy from the Classic itself, this is going to be done using a calibration
table for just that purpose so that will also be addressed.  The Classic is already modbus (yech
for you) so that is happening and of course the web interface so you should get all of that too.
Not sure about a 150A shunt, but that ~could~ of course be done with a simple re-calculation.
The hard part about using non-standard shunts is that the distance between screws are
different than the 500A/50mV shunts and so you would have to run a wire or a piece of copper
from one of the CSM screw hole pads to one of the different shunt screws.  Otherwise it should
be pretty easy for that to work as well.  Same modification for a 1000A/1000mV shunt which
are larger than the 500A/50mV shunts.

And yes, of course, 0.1 amp resolution with +- 0.05 amp accuracy.   Actually, I think it may
be slightly better than this from what I am seeing so far.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

SolarMusher

Quote from: boB on March 23, 2013, 07:56:51 PM
Quote from: SolarMusher on March 23, 2013, 02:38:24 PM
HI Ryan,
Erik

That's a great question that I had not thought of but I'm not sure it would matter ?

It is a local voltage developed across the shunt and read across the shunt so I bet it would
work.  I won't bet my life on it, but I think it might just work.

boB
Hi boB,
Ok I will try it this way, it would be great if one could use it also as an upgrade into an existing Classic.
How will you want to sell it? As an integrated or a "stand alone" MNBCM part?
Erik

boB

Quote from: SolarMusher on March 24, 2013, 07:30:42 AM

How will you want to sell it? As an integrated or a "stand alone" MNBCM part?
Erik

I'm pretty sure it will be sold as a circuit board and plastic cover kit with instructions
in a cardboard box.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

SolarMusher

QuoteI'm pretty sure it will be sold as a circuit board and plastic cover kit with instructions
in a cardboard box.
Great, thanks boB.