VOC quirk

Started by mike90045, December 30, 2014, 01:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike90045

in Legacy P/O mode,  fw v 1849

VOC reporting seems "stuck".  I'm in Float now, and voc shows 155v, yet the panels are sitting at 168V (classic 200 rev4)
It's about 34F outside.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

boB

This can happen in Legacy mode, especially if it has not gone open circuit (resting) since the temperature has
dropped.  The Classic will not necessarily go open to take a new Voc reading in Legacy mode.

Could this be it ?  If the temperature and light were just right, that might happen.

When in Float, the Classic won't need much power or drop below Voc (measured or not measured)
to stay at the Float voltage.

Also, do you have any other charging sources ?  It may be that the new Voc is still somewhere around 155V
but the Classic had to go a bit higher to reduce the battery voltage to Float.  That might also be what
has happened.   The Classic measures and responds to too much negative current (Resting--wakeup)
if that happens but would take another Voc reading.  The Classic allows itself to go slightly above last
measured Voc when tracking in some cases so that could also help explain it.

Try measuring the Voc again and see where it's at if the PV hasn't heated up a lot.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mike90045

???  I think I'll compile all the replies to my varied questions and make it into a manual ! 

Hey, I'm (re)discovering all this stuff !
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

boB

Quote from: mike90045 on December 30, 2014, 06:45:28 PM
???  I think I'll compile all the replies to my varied questions and make it into a manual ! 

Hey, I'm (re)discovering all this stuff !

I hear ya !  So little time, so much to know.

Too much sometimes to remember for me too.  Audio was a much simpler profession 20+ years ago...
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me