My 'Canadian' rant for the day...

Started by alyaz, February 14, 2013, 11:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alyaz

While I am proud to be a Canadian, I sure do get tired of getting overcharged by Canadian solar suppliers for products.  Example... A Midnite Graphics Display can be had in the US for $160.  Our dollar is a par so basically I pay taxes (which I'd pay up here anyways and out the door for $160 plus tax).  Buy it from a Canadian wholesaler and they'll charge you $267.  Over a hundred dollars more just because we're north of the border.  While I have a great installer who often will allow me to purchase my own stuff (yes I know how lucky I am) when I do have him purchase stuff for me, the prices are staggering.  Canadian businesses have suffered by cross border shopping but at no time do they ever realize they drive the Canadian consumer across the border for realistic prices.  When will they smarten up and realize they are gouging their Canadian customers. 

Yes, I'm waiting for someone from a Canadian solar wholesaler to give me their lame excuse for the gouging.  I've run a business in Canada and know the prices some of the businesses charge is not justified.

:P
3.3 kW solar. (1.5 kW Helios - MN Classic 150 CC; .8 kW CSun - MN Classic 150 CC; 1 kW Sharp - MN  Classic 250 CC); Magnum PAE-4024 Inverter, AGS, ARC, BMK. Whizbang Jr., Midnite Solar battery monitor, 5 Midnite SPD’s. 24V Rolls 4KS21P - 1105 a/hr FLA.  10 kW Perkins Diesel.

Vern Faulkner

Yep. I hears ya. What I wanna know is how come a box of chocolates, made in St. Stephen, NB, costs $5.99 in St. Stephen, NB, but when I go over the border to Calais, Me., which is literally 100 metres away, across a river, the same box of chocolates costs $4.99?

Westbranch

Try this web site for prices, can virtually  ;D match US prices  including shipping and  the  :o gouging ''CROSSING the Border - paperwork Fee" :'( by UPS and DHL etc
http://cdnsolar.ca/
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

alyaz

;D  And another thing that shows how we get hooped is when you see something made in Canada, that you can buy cheaper in the US even with shipping included...  Yikes.  Bend over and smile!
3.3 kW solar. (1.5 kW Helios - MN Classic 150 CC; .8 kW CSun - MN Classic 150 CC; 1 kW Sharp - MN  Classic 250 CC); Magnum PAE-4024 Inverter, AGS, ARC, BMK. Whizbang Jr., Midnite Solar battery monitor, 5 Midnite SPD’s. 24V Rolls 4KS21P - 1105 a/hr FLA.  10 kW Perkins Diesel.

Vern Faulkner

Quote from: Westbranch on February 16, 2013, 06:26:16 PM
Try this web site for prices, can virtually  ;D match US prices  including shipping and  the  :o gouging ''CROSSING the Border - paperwork Fee" :'( by UPS and DHL etc
http://cdnsolar.ca/

$435 for a 245 watt panel? My local guy can source a 235 watter for $300, and I can find a 245 watt panel in the 'States for $330...

Price on the Midnite line is better, tho.

Westbranch

Not bad, mainly I looked at the CC's and MN products...for large Panels I looked locally and the prices are similar yours,   kicker is the freight on those large panels. 
I got 2 pallets of 140W for ~ 85 cents delivered, just have to wait for snow to go for access, so I can get them up..
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

SolarMusher

If you stay in Canada, PM me and I will do my best.
But unfortunately, you have to know that I could never compete with US prices even on a Canadian product sold in US...  :'(
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

Robin

I do not know what to say about this issue. I have been in the middle of it ever since founding OutBack. I do not understand why this happens either. Canadian distributors get the same price as US distributors. I think there is an extra tax, but you will have to pay that when bringing US purchased products into Canada too. Are these extra taxes being considered or are you just looking at advertised prices? The Canadian distributors do tend to take care of warranty issues too. It is very expensive to ship broken stuff back and forth over the border. Seems like when we screw up it isn't in California or some other state close to home. We screw up in Canada, Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Spain, Mars etc. Your distributor or dealer can potentially save you big bucks (at his expense) if there are problems. Check on the policy of the local dealer to see if there is any kind of benefit there. We like to think that our stuff is so solid it won't break, but let's face it, this is power electronics. There will be failures at some point. It doesn't matter what model of manufacture you buy, there can always be failures.
Robin Gudgel

dgd

Quote from: Robin on February 21, 2013, 01:10:45 AM
I do not know what to say about this issue. etc...

I know what to say.
Open a Midnite online store. Sell direct at a competitive price (not RRP).
If you still think supporting a distributor network is essential to Midnite's commercial success then give them a slight margin over your online store pricing.
This would soon sort out price scamming distributors who use their exclusive  supply advantage to gouge on pricing.

The solution lies with Midnite, sort it out... ::)

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Halfcrazy

DGD
That is pretty much already the case just not actually run by MidNite. A couple of our Distributors do just that and ship world wide. They also have lower pricing than I would expect so there is a solution and I know a lot of customers in Australia buy from them. Look over Alt E store and Northern Arizona wind and sun.

Not sure is selling direct could help anything other than upset the distributors.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Vern Faulkner

Woody at Fundy Solar (near the New Brunswick/NS border) was the vendor for my Midnite 150, and he actually beat the U.S. MSRP ...