Absorb stage keeps restarting

Started by Eric L, March 10, 2013, 06:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric L

I have three networked Classics (two 200s and a lite 200), and recently updated the firmware in all three. I now have some strange behavior in the absorption stage and can't figure out what's going on.

Basically, none of the controllers want to stay out of absorb, even if I set the absorb time to a very low value. Every time the absorption cycle finishes, after a few seconds they start bulking again and push the voltage back up.

All three classics have the same settings, which include:

Re-bulk set to to the default (8v).
VMX set to 101 amps (which I understand to be "off")
End amps: I've tried all kinds of settings here, from 0 to some very high value. It seems to make no difference.
Absorb time: Again, I've tried all kinds of settings but the cycle keeps restarting seconds after the controllers enter float.

I do have various AUX loads but I turned them all off this afternoon in case they were causing this, but the re-cycling issue still persisted.

I suspect I'm missing something simple, but can't figure it out. Thanks for any suggestions!

Westbranch

have you checked the follow me settings? Is the TWEAKS # at least 2 times, ie  so you number is 6 or 9?

Ryan said The number in Tweaks under follow me is an enable number all it does is tell the classic it is in follow me and also tells it how many trips around the loop to ignore changes after a change. This is usually set for 2 times the number of Classics on the system or 5 as a minimum.

Hmmm... just saw the part about a recent update.. Are you sure it worked for all 3?  this may be a boB item...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

boB

Westbranch has the right idea here.

make sure that the FOLLOWME setting in tweaks is set for at least 6.

Adding a couple more won't hurt but may not help.

What the heck.  Try 9

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Eric L

Thanks guys, but that unfortunately doesn't seem to be the issue. The FollowMe setting in Tweaks was set to 6. I changed it to 9 last night, but this afternoon I'm still getting the cycling problem.

One more thing: I was watching the countdown timer on one of the controllers in absorb (it was set to 10 minutes for now). After running down for about four minutes it reset to 10, so something was obviously signalling it to reset. Another controller?

As I say they all have the same charge settings and times -- I double checked that today.

boB

Eric, try the same thing with follow me turned off and see if the same problem happens.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Halfcrazy

Quote from: Eric L on March 11, 2013, 04:22:58 PM
Thanks guys, but that unfortunately doesn't seem to be the issue. The FollowMe setting in Tweaks was set to 6. I changed it to 9 last night, but this afternoon I'm still getting the cycling problem.

One more thing: I was watching the countdown timer on one of the controllers in absorb (it was set to 10 minutes for now). After running down for about four minutes it reset to 10, so something was obviously signalling it to reset. Another controller?

As I say they all have the same charge settings and times -- I double checked that today.

Well if the absorb timer is on its way down towards 00:00 and it resets to 00:10 that is not follow me. I am not sure what it is though. Did you do a factory restore after doing the firmware upgrade?

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Eric L

QuoteDid you do a factory restore after doing the firmware upgrade?

Ryan, yes.

Bob, I just disabled follow me and watched. The two controllers not connected to the battery temperature probe both exited absorb and seemed to stay in float. Oddly though, on neither did the countdown timer get to 0 -- perhaps that's because they were counting earlier absorb time?

The controller connected to the temperature probe was shooting for a higher absorb voltage, which it didn't get to, and now that the other two are floating, it doesn't have enough juice at this time of day get there (I could force bulk on the first two, but that would probably still not work). But it would presumably act like the other two did (i.e., exit bulk and stay out).

Halfcrazy

Sounds like EndAmps may be set and this is causing the controller to go to float early. My suspicion is EndAmps and Rebulk are set. Can you check EndAmps and Rebulk and report back on those 2 settings.

Ryan

Eric L

Ryan,

Right now, end amps = 22.5. Rebulk = 8 volts (on all three).

I did try adjusting end amps to 0 when the controllers were networked. I've never adjusted rebulk.

Halfcrazy

Ok so EndAmps probably explains why it is exiting Absorb early. Not sure what is causing it to re initiate a Bulk charge though. You have the 3 classics wired in a circle right? from A to B to C and back to A

Ryan

Eric L

Ryan,

Yes, I do. I appreciate the prompt replies by the way.

gridless

I had the same problem with the 200 that was sent as a replacement for the  200 that had a defective usb port. I pulled the replacement and am using the one I can't update(maybe a blessing in disguise. I've been busy and the weather hasn't been good here so I haven't yet had time to try the switching of the top circuit board work around that Mike advised. will I keep the old firmware if I make the swap? I don't know where the memory is? Also, is it possible to switch back to older firmware if needed? Sorry if any of these questions have already been answered as I'm new to this forum.
thanks..

boB

Quote from: gridless on March 14, 2013, 09:24:09 PM
I had the same problem with the 200 that was sent as a replacement for the  200 that had a defective usb port. I pulled the replacement and am using the one I can't update(maybe a blessing in disguise. I've been busy and the weather hasn't been good here so I haven't yet had time to try the switching of the top circuit board work around that Mike advised. will I keep the old firmware if I make the swap? I don't know where the memory is? Also, is it possible to switch back to older firmware if needed? Sorry if any of these questions have already been answered as I'm new to this forum.
thanks..

Yes, you can downgrade to older firmware if you like.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

gridless

Thanks for the quick reply. By the way the people at Midnite Solar were great to work with.