wind graph weirdness

Started by dgd, April 29, 2013, 07:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

This morning my Classic 250 on wind showed zero watts despite lowish battery and gusty wind. Clipper seems good, the three green leds on ac legs blinking quite fast. Using local app, config, tech,select windgraph then it shows 'Current active profile on Classic and does not show a graph. The box stays blue and the Volts and Amps show 0:blank 1:1 2:2 3:3 etc up to 15:15, clearly a useless wind curve. So I load a curve previously saved, press commit and exit.
Now back at local app tech windgraph, press white arrow in blue circle, show TIMEOUT ON WRITE ERROR,  press wind graph button again and there is the useless nondisplaying 0v:blank to15v/15A linear curve again.
Clearly something is rubber ducked  - any ideas anyone?

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

dgd

It seems its the local app that is the problem with wind graph display.
The MNGP shows the original graph is active but input is still zero watts
I reset the 250 because it was stuck in RESTING about every second a relay was clicking loudly,Ijust can't get it out of resting as just a low wind should be trickling in 20 to 40 watts. Pressing status button and holding shows TWO, is this the resting reason?

dgd
(this message editor has no option for including pics etc.. )
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000

TomW

dgd;

Had a similar issue here. Then yesterday the volts got high on the input and some of that special smoke came out. Got an RMA on it and hopefully they will track down the issue.

Mine worked very well for awhile and then it decided not to.

Just my recent experience. I have a thread on it over in the Classic section.

Good luck with it. Do not trust it as mine was letting my 12 footer scream in gusts.

On a forum somewhere, another wind Classic at a remote location had an unexplained turbine self destruction in high winds and apparently due to being unloaded. Very similar. Forget where I read that just now?

One is an anomaly, two is a trend three would be a problem...

Just FYI.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

dgd

Thanks for your reply Tom,
I chickened out after watching the turbine scream in a gust knowing that it gets up to near 2Kw when that fast. Normally the furling would kick in but gusts are too sudden for furling to start. Zero watts on the CL250, input volts way up about 200. The 3 green leds hard on in Clipper tacho circuit BUT no 3phase relay on, its led stayed off. Checking the PWM Clipper AUX2 output stayed steady 12v so I get impression non active, no pwm signalling low to activate Clipper. CL250 RESTING and stuck there.
So I shut OFF the turbine from Clipper and powered down the CL250.
Nothing appears to have smoked.

After an hour I was ready to swap out CL250 for a spare CL150 but instead rewired a 500W alternator turbine into Clipper and reset CL250 wind curve for it and powered it all up again. Seems to be running normally, BULK MPPT and a few watts trickling in.

But I need to get the real turbine going again but will monitor the CL250 a while longer.

Seems the Local App wind curve weirdness is another issue that obfuscated the real problem.. typical :-(

dgd

boB

That graph definitely is pretty weird.

What was the classic 250's input voltage compared to the cutin voltage
of your MNGP graph ?

>>>Pressing status button and holding shows TWO, is this the resting reason?<<<

That "TWO" just means that you are on status screen number 2.  Any time you
are about to go to a new status screen, holding the status button down before
letting go gives you a brief (always way too brief)  description of that screen
when you let up on the button.

To get Reason For Resting (RFR), go to the main number one status screen and
then hold down the Left-Arrow key and then tap the ENTER key.   You will see
a bunch of numbers.   On the top line, right in the middle, if the classic has
gone to Resting from some awake state, it will show a number which is the RFR.

Sometimes that RFR won't show you why it is not waking up but will show you
something to do with why it went to sleep the last time.

Here is a list of RFR's...  RFR = 5 is the most common.

ReasonForResting = 1     Not enough power to wake up (Doesn't apply to wind mode)
    ReasonForResting = 2     Insane Ibatt reference.  Try again
    ReasonForResting = 3     Negative current on WakeUp, try again
    ReasonForResting = 4     Input V is lower than Vbatt while running
    ReasonForResting = 5     Power is too low for 90 seconds (Solar 20W, Wind 50W)
    ReasonForResting = 6     FETs are too darn hot  (>98 C)
    ReasonForResting = 7     Ground Fault
    ReasonForResting = 8     Arc Fault
    ReasonForResting = 9     Battery current is negative (possible load on input terminals)
    ReasonForResting = 10   Battery is less than 8 Volts
    ReasonForResting = 11   Low Light #1
    ReasonForResting = 12   Low Light #2
    ReasonForResting = 13   Recheck Voc.  V pv went higher than previous Voc too much
    ReasonForResting = 14   Low Light #3
    ReasonForResting = 15   Low Light #4
    ReasonForResting = 16   Normally because user turned MODE OFF...  Disabled
    ReasonForResting = 17   Vpv > 150V (Classic 150)
    ReasonForResting = 18   Vpv > 200V (Classic 200)
    ReasonForResting = 19   Vpv > 250V (Classic 250)
    ReasonForResting = 22   Average Battery Voltage is too high above set point (overshoot)

ReasonForResting = 25   Battery breaker tripped (Similar to RFR 22)

ReasonForResting = 26   Mode changed while running OR Vabsorb raised more than
                                           10.0 Volts OR Nominal Vbatt changed by modbus command
                                            while Classic was running

ReasonForResting = 27   bridge center == 1023  (R132 might have been stuffed)

ReasonForResting = 28   NOT Resting but RELAY is not engaged for some reason
                                            (this may be a bogus RFR in recent 2013 firmware)

ReasonForResting = 29   ON/OFF stays off because WIND GRAPH is insane (Amps > 100A)

ReasonForResting = 30   (not used anymore after 6-25-2012) Was too high of peak Ibatt

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

Thanks for that info boB.
I have reconnected everything and there is not much wind now. But enough to get 30 to 70 watts trickling in with CL250 in BULK MPPT to RESTING and back, resting   (5:low light)
I will have to wait for some decent wind to see what happens.

dgd