News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Recent posts

Thank you for clarifying FNG. 8)
New Product Ideas and Discussion / Re: Whiz Bang Senior
Last post by Barry Fields - May 08, 2024, 03:33:23 PM
When dealing with 2 classics in "follow me" is a firmware update reflected through to the second classic over the modbus or is a second usb connection required for an additional update for the second classic?
The "Classic" charge controller / Re: Charge terminating based o...
Last post by Gordon - May 08, 2024, 12:16:14 PM
Thanks guys!!
I watched it this morning, and it worked flawlessly. It is a bright, sunny day, and at 6 minutes into the 15 minute absorb, it came out of absorb into float based on WBJr. end amps. This is exactly what I was hoping for by installing the WBJr. and using the slightly longer than needed absorb setting. This will give me the extra time when needed on the days with clouds, while taking it out of absorb on the bright days when the current flow drops.
Thanks Again!
That should work yes. We typically take the 2 pole 600V breaker and remove the jumper and use it to break PV+ and - of 600V as it is all one circuit this works well
The Rosie / Re: Rosie tell me about SMA
Last post by FNG - May 08, 2024, 08:06:49 AM
The Rosie is listed to UL1741
Hawke's Bay / Re: Ground Fault w/PV Breaker ...
Last post by FNG - May 08, 2024, 08:05:22 AM
Quote from: aaapilot on May 03, 2024, 09:49:24 AMI've had an intermittent Ground Fault, aprox 5 times in 2.5 months since the system was installed.  It occurs either when the sun is setting or early in the morning just before sunrise. (At least, that's what I'm guessing since it's ok at 10pm and light on at 7:30-8:00 am when I check on the system.) Yesterday it occurred and the PV breaker was OFF on the HB. Is that even possible for the system to detect a ground fault when there is no load on the PV? (There IS a Surge Protector at the combiner box, so are the 2 LEDs on the SP considered a load??)  I'm beginning to think the Ground Fault circuit sub-board is faulty .... it is one of the original builds that have the D2 RED LED.  Incidentally, the system does NOT shut down when the GF occurs.  Just the red lite on the display w/ the words 'a ground fault has occurred'. When I press the knob to clear, when there is PV connected and on, the MPPT is still running and producing power. I thought the system would stop and had to be reset? I have removed the front cover to check the board when it occurs, before I clear the message on the screen, and the D2 RED LED is flashing quickly, showing normal ops????  The D1 RED LED has never illuminated, which is suppose to be on solid when a GF is present.  Thanks all.  Dave

Dave,
If its an older original Arc Fault / Ground Fault we may want to replace it. Email me please ryan@midnitesolar.com
Last post by boB - May 07, 2024, 11:47:49 PM

I *think* that the beta SW actually help what you are talking about.

If so, you will find that the beta tries to keep the battery voltage closer to the Absorb set point. 

I should say, at the temperature compensated target voltage. If you happened to use one for some reason.

So, there is that.  You can always go back a previous revision, too, if needed.

New Product Ideas and Discussion / Re: load management
Last post by ClassicCrazy - May 07, 2024, 10:05:22 PM
The Aux contacts on the Classic have lots of different ways to turn on or off or pwm based on voltage, soc, etc . That is what I have been using.
I have a video on how I used the PWM of Waste Not to send extra power to water heater.
But switching the load using PWM might be difficult for the inverter depending - on mine it would make my LED lights flicker though didn't have effect on other loads.
https://youtu.be/s7trVpHLts4?si=gOzi8TAL_mV9fwJO
Larry
Last post by Gordon - May 07, 2024, 09:47:06 PM
Thank you very much Bob and Larry. I'm using the end amps to terminate the absorb before the 15 minutes is up since when I have a strong sun out there it can usually satisfy that parameter in about 10 minutes. I have the longer absorb set so that on those days where the sun is not that strong, I can have the extra time in absorb since it needs the time to get up to the absorb set point. That is because my absorb timer starts counting when the voltage is .3 v below the set point. Is it possible that the firmware with the Lithium settings that you're talking about resolves that issue of the timer starting early?

Either way, I will try to be out there tomorrow to watch it carefully and find out what's really happening.

Thanks
New Product Ideas and Discussion / Re: load management
Last post by Barry Fields - May 07, 2024, 08:42:08 PM
Quote from: ClassicCrazy on May 07, 2024, 03:45:05 PMI  bypass the pv input  around the controller to the resistance heater load. An SSR or DC contactor can be used to switch the PV input. I use a contactor now with it just being on off controlled by Aux . But I guess it could be pwm using a ssr or igbt depending on pv voltage.
Larry

Thanks for your input. I hate to correct myself twice in the same week but I found an error in the schematic. corrected one below.

My primary Aims 6000w inverter runs continuously for my water pump and fridge and other little stuff I can manually switch from grid. There is room for it to handle another 2kw.
Therefore I chose to use that 220v to run the DUMP. As the DUMP LOAD requires approx 10a @220 it enabled me to use 14-2 wire to that load with a 15a breaker.

How do you trigger opportunity loads?

regards Barry