Looong Wire Runs Question

Started by my t30, May 11, 2014, 10:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

my t30

Hey guys.
A friend of mine wants to put solar in at his cottage but his cottage is in the woods about ~600 ft from decent sun. I currently am running a solar array 220 feet from my rv with a voltage drop of 4% and it has worked flawlessly for 2 years.

So my question is this, would there be any problems with a 600 foot run. My calculations are that at 150v and 9A the voltage drop would be ~8% (138v) with 10 awg wire. Obviously there would be power lost but would it not still work with 90% of the power retained?

For that matter why would a 1000ft run not work? 150v and 9A comes to 13% drop (131v) with 10awg wire.

Thanks everyone.

Philip

Westbranch

Well, IMO it would be better to split the distance IFF you can truly get 150V constantly to the Classic and then have an inverter from the batt bank to the cabin, or some combination of that.  The inverter output will be constant and the PV is variable due to climatic conditions...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

zoneblue

As you know PV voltage varys according to a number of factors. Aiming too close to 150V for day to day use will create too much risk of high Voc conditions that even hypervoc may not be able to protect you.

As Wb says, (especially if you are in 230V land) put the inverter in a shed near the array, and run AC.

10awg is not particularly big cable these days, but i understand the trade off you are making. After all, a 1 or 2 extra panels is probably all thats needed to compensate for the loss.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

Halfcrazy

Yes in reality with the pv prices being down and wire and high voltage controllers (Like the 600 volt controllers) being so pricey voltage drop is not so awful. We got the 2% thing in our head when we had PWM controllers and $10 a watt PV (or at least I did).

MPPT can deal with the voltage drop so no worries there and with PV being 75 cents a watt you can through an extra panel or two on to make up for the losses. On a sunny day the Voltage Drop will be high but on a cloudy day when it is needed the most the Voltage Drop will be almost 0%

The one thing to remember is that the voltage drop is only present under load so you do not want to push the voltage (VOC) higher than the charge controller can handle

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time